How to get diagnosed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get diagnosed

Kellybennett
Kellybennett Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have a trouble with understanding but need a full test how will I get one

Comments

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    Hello @Kellybennett. Do you mean you want to be tested to see what kind of learning disabilities you have? How old are you? I think where you can go for help will depend a lot on your age and why you want to be tested?
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Kellybennett
    I am 20 laughinglolly I was told to get tested for learning disabilities from social services as I have a kid who needs me 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Kellybennett, if Social Services said you should get tested then they should also tell you how to do so. If they haven't done so then contact them again and ask.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Kellybennett
    They told me to go through my doctors which I done but they said they cannot do it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kellybennett and a warm welcome to the community! I would advise going back to your social worker and letting them know that the doctor was unable to do this. :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @Kellybennett ,

All learning disabilities can have one or more underlying medical  / clinical causes of the learning disability symptom. sounds like your doctor is not very aware of this or has little understanding of the symptom some clinical conditions may have. 
    Unfortunately the different types of support services use different forms of teminoly to explain the exact same set of issues, and only wish to use their way of explaining things, all part of massaging their egos, and failing those who may have these types of issues.
    For example. 
    Dyslexia is a man made problem concerning decoding and recoding the visual notation of speech, or the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech.
    Dyslexia is language dependent.
    There are two types of dyslexia. Acquired Dyslexia, also known as Alexia, is caused by brain injury, stroke, atrophy, etc which is concerned with those loosing or have lost the previously acquired skills to decode and recode the visual notation of speech. And Developmental Dyslexia which has a genetic causes. There are three cognitive subtypes of Developmental Dyslexia - Auditory, Visual and Attentional. Which means that an Auditory Processing Disorder, a Visual Processing Disorder, an Attention Deficit / Disorder, or any combination of these issues can cause the Dyslexic Symptom

I hope you are able to get the support and understanding you need in the very near future 
  • Kellybennett
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello and welcome to the community @Kellybennett. Please let us know how you get on and don’t hesitate to ask if there’s anything we can do to help!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kellybennett
    Will do and thanks 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kellybennett

Have you contacted a educational psychologist? They have experience of working with people with dyslexia and dyscalculia as well as more serious learning disabilities like down syndrome. How are you doing? Did you succeed in going back to the social worker or not? Ask them about being referred to a educational psychologist for more extensive testing. A EP will conduct tests to determine what are your weaknesses and strengths. 

Are you in higher education at the moment? If so talk to your college teacher, they might be able to help you find a educational psychologist who can help you figure out what is going on. Or you can look online to see if there are any in your local area. http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/sen-resources-blog/2016/1/22/adult-assessment-for-dyslexia

Good luck and keep us updated. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kellybennett, how are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness