Information about Carers Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information about Carers Allowance?

ponies
ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
Hi there, I have recently been awarded Pip daily living and I also work 32hours per week.
want to know if my Partner makes a claim for Carers Allowance will it affect my income or Pip award
thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For your partner to claim CA they mustn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions. It will also depend what benefits, if any they claim. It won't affect your PIP but it's a taxable benefit. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ponies
    Hi there, I know my Partner can’t earn more than £123.00 per week with C.A.
     I work 32hours per week and get Pip daily living Component. I just want to know if my Partner claims C.A. for caring for me 35hours or more per week. Will it affect my Pip i.e take it off me, due to my Partner getting the Carers Allowance. Does it also affect it due to me working & not on any benefits other than Pip daily living.
    My Partner will only be claiming for C.A.
    thanks
  • poppy123456
    As advised, if your partner claims carers allowance for looking after you it will not affect your PIP.

Do be aware that carers allowance is a taxable benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ponies
    Thanks poppy 123456
    only someone told me, I would not get Pip if I had a Carer claiming C.A. for looking after me, they said my Pip would stop, as you cannot claim both if your a couple living together.
    aslo my earnings are taken into account 
  • poppy123456
    Whoever told you that could be more wrong. I'm not even sure why they even think that would happen. CA doesn't affect PIP in any way at all.
  • ponies
    Yep they told me my Pip payment would stop altogether because of my Partner claiming C.A.
    Also because of my Wages.
     They told me my wage, plus Pip daily living was added together, that my Partner claiming C.A wouldn’t entitle me to Pip.
  • poppy123456
    That's very bad advise you've been given, sorry.

As i advised a few times, PIP isn't affected by your partner claiming carers allowance.

Your wages and PIP are totally different things. PIP isnt means tested so working doesn't affect the amount you receive.
  • ponies
    Thanks so much for your advice, I feel a lot better now. I knew Pip was non means tested, but didn’t know that C.A claimed by my Partner would not affect my Pip, as was told it would. Also was told my wage would be taken into account,

• ponies
    Hi there, do you know if my Partner will get a class 1 contribution with being my Carer whilst he is receiving C.A.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes, class 1 NI credits will be paid while claiming carers allowance.
  • ponies
    That’s good news.
    would you know anything about Council Tax, if I will be able to get a reduction whilst on Pip or Partner on C.A.
    or will I have to pay more C.T. now I receive Pip daily living component 
    thanks 

• poppy123456
    All local councils have their own rules for council tax reduction and you'll need to speak them. A claim for carers allowance can take between 8-12 weeks. Once it's in payment you'll need to report the changes to your local council.
  • ponies
    Ok thanks so much for your help & support 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. One other thing, if you claim working tax credits you need to let them know about your PIP award because you'll be able to claim the disabled element, which will give you extra money.

If you claim housing benefit then you should let your local council know about your PIP award too.
  • ponies
    Hi I don’t get any tax credits, or H.B.
    thanks anyway.

• ponies
    You did say C.A was a taxable benefit. Does that mean My Parntner will pay tax whist claiming it. Or is it added to my Income  and Pip amount.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ponies and welcome to the community.
    It's a taxable benefit but it is below the income threshold so you don't need to worry about that. It's mainly relevant for those on tax credits as it's counted as income. I hope that helps! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ponies
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your advice, it’s so helpful.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ponies. No problem at all. Just let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ponies
    I’m on minimum wage £8.21 and work 32hrs per week.
    I have just been awarded Pip daily living.
    My Partner has applied for Carers Allowance £66.15per week.
    No other income coming in, have never claimed Tax Credits.
    or Universal Credit, although I may be entitled too for my Partner and Myself.
    Don’t understand it all

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.