are you — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

are you

ballkeeper
ballkeeper Community member Posts: 80 Pioneering
i was out shopping the other day and was using the shop mobility scooter for the first ever time,[which i was dreading ,fear of what other people may/will be saying] got to the end of the first aisle and my stick fell out so i stop got picked it ,and this guy standing there said Are you disabled you dont look like it ,its wrong and walk off still saying it in a loud voice, i felt so ............felt like running out of there,except i couldnt,
so am i
here my list,
diabete insuline controlled,
peripheral arterial disease, waist down seem to affected the most so far
osteoartheitis, hips
repeated claudicailon ,
diabetic retncpathy, help abit after lazering
essential hypertens,
hearing  loss.One poss in the other ear too
disturbed sleep, wake up in pain
no engery lack off mussel,
gen knackered as soon as i wake up,
walk between 5=25m no repeatedley,consistantly or in a timely manor pian in lower back, legs,buttocks,
cant stand more then ten mins etc
ED

Comments

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @ballkeeper
    Hi, please ignore ignoramus and continue getting out and about (when you feel up to it). 

Sorry to hear you have numerous conditions, I'm similar. 

Life's too short to take any notice of ignorance!  ;)
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @ballkeeper. Like paffuto10 says take no notice. Some people are so ignorant!
  • ballkeeper
    edited September 2019
    well shopping day today so going try this again,never been so nervous even thinking about it,
     can feel my heart beating harder,
  • paffuto10
    @ballkeeper

Try to relax (easier said than done, I know) 

Good Luck, don't drive it too fast!  :p
    Maybe stick an L plate on it  :D
  • ballkeeper

Try to relax (easier said than done, I know) 

Good Luck, don't drive it too fast!  :p
    Maybe stick an L plate on it  :D
    thanks  prob good idea on the L plates  :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....ignore the likes of that rude, nasty, ill bred imbicile who made you feel bad.
    You use that scooter....you hold your head up.
    Right!
  • ballkeeper
    edited September 2019
    here me before meeting m8tey 

how do you make it go forward again

where the gears ...
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    @ballkeeper - no member of the public is owed an explanation and certainly not a justification for any aids or concessions that you use. People's stereotypes of disability are often way wide of the mark and their belief that they can judge who is and isn't disabled is entirely wrong.

As you point out, many people have invisible disabilities. I can't see your arthritis, chronic fatigue and many other health problems, but I do not doubt how real they are. I know how it takes confidence to use aids that make you visibily different in public - I had to face increasing use of a wheelchair from the age of 20. The number of times I got yelled at by older people for parking in accessible parking with my Orange Badge (as it was then) was depressing - though their response when I got my wheelchair out of the car was usually to slink away.

Hold your head up, do what is right for you - and please try to resist the temptation to run any judgmental folk over with the scooter!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ballkeeper, how did your shopping trip go today? I'm really sorry you had such a negative experience using the shop mobility scooter for the first time the other day. I know it's easier said than done, but to echo everyone else that's posted, ignore the ignorant and judgemental comments. You don't owe anyone an explanation!
    Hope you got on better today. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • paffuto10
    @ballkeeper

Love the pics  :)

Well done, keep at it, onwards and upwards  ;)
  • paffuto10
    "and please try to resist the temptation to run any judgemental folk over with the scooter!" 

:D   :D
  • ballkeeper
    thanks everyone,
    today shopping was better , even bumped into someone else in a scooter ,
  • paffuto10
    Must have been like dodgems at the fair  :p

Glad today was better 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again. haha! When I meet a fellow wheelchair/scooter user, we can cause a traffic jam. We laugh, apologise and move over a bit. 
    Love the pics xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad it went well @ballkeeper, in fairness they are not the easiest things to control!  :D
    Scope

• ballkeeper
    i do plan on getting my own mobility scooter soon ,i like them pride go go s pack and stick in boot
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    sorry u had to go through that. 

me i tend to just say what i think. in this case as iv done before to people like that id say. 

yes an mri would show u have a brain but ur attitude clearly doesnt know it. 

im a smoker im sat where my sister put my chair as she got an ergent call from her son. she hadnt seen the sign. im registered blind in a wheelchair sitting there with my white cane in one hand and a cig in the other. (we wehere at the hospital and thought we were off there grounds) an ambulance stopped and the drive says “no smoking cant u read the sign” i say “oh hello no i cant read the sign im registered blind do u need to borrow my cane as u clearly missed it..” as he drove off in silence i said “should have gone to specsavers” lol. 

i never used to say boo to a goose but iv learned if people r going to judge u anyway u might as well give them what for. (i wont swear at them) plus it makes u feel good u have said what u really think to them. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope it becomes easier the more you use one, we're all here if you need anything! :)
    Scope

Brightness