Extreme foot pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extreme foot pain

Options
Vallita1322
Vallita1322 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hello, I am 50 years old and have been on UC since April of this year. I started a new job also in April. I am a cashier and there are no seats. For the last few months, I have been suffering with pain in my left foot. I ignored the pain and put it down to maybe being tired. The last month, the pain has been getting worse. At the tills, I am lifting my left leg up to reduce the pain. It is now getting difficult to walk even short distances, even when I get out of bed, the pain lingers all day and worse when I leave my property. It's getting to the point that I don't leave my home unless it's absolutely necessary. 
Last Friday, the pain was so bad, I went to the emergency hospital. The doctor diagnosed plantar fasciitis. 
I spoke to my boss last Saturday if he could reduce my hours, I work part time of 16 hours, and if I could bring in a chair for the tills. He said no and can't have me working due to my well being. I should go on sick. I am trying to get an appointment with my local GP. 
As I am in such difficult pain, I think I have to terminate my employment due to no seating and I just can't stand, not even for half hour without being in pain. 
I also suffer from ibs to which is annoying as well. 
I am wondering if I should ask my doctor to sign me off sick and to give myself some time for my foot to recover, even though whilst doing research on plantar fasciitis, said it can take up to nine months to recover. 
I left a message on my UC journal and received a message today letting me know that I no longer have a work coach as I am working. 
If I do go on sick and terminate my employment, will I be sanctioned and how will it effect me looking for new employment, preferably seating one? Or should I give myself a few months at least to try to allow my foot to heel?

Comments

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Vallita1322

Sorry, don't really have any advice but just posting to offer sympathy and a thought. 

I'm just wondering, because you've actually been diagnosed, is it possible that your boss is obliged to allow you a seat? 

Maybe someone who knows will come along and advise. 

And your boss sounds totally unreasonable to me, what harm would a chair at the till do?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What about a cold ice pack? My partner has this and that is what he now uses for pain relief when sitting down reading. Have you seen a physio or not? 
    Some exercise can also help. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/plantar-fasciitis/
    Light stretches can work wonders! Regarding your boss he is being stupid. 
    Can you move to another company or not? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you leave employment then you'll very likely be sanctioned yes. You need to look at claiming SSP from your employer, if you're unable to work and you'll need a fit note from your GP. SSP is paid for 28 weeks. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

You should also look at reasonable adjustments and speak to you employer because refusing you a seat to sit on while you work isn't a good thing for them to do. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Vallita1322
    Options
    Hello everyone, 
    Thank you for your advice. poppy123456, the company don't pay sick pay and we also don't have a contract. I looked at the link you gave me, now I don't know what the next step would be. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're working without having signed a contract? :o because you're working then your employer has to legally pay you SSP for 28 weeks. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Vallita1322
    Options
    poppy123456,

Yes, that is right, no contract. 
    I will speak to someone at the job centre and contact citizens advice. 

Thank you. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Speaking to someone at your local job centre for advice isn't something i'd recommend you do because they are well known for giving incorrect advice. They mostly read from a screen.
  • Naughtynan
    Naughtynan Community member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Options
    Hi :)
    Sorry to hear you're in pain and as I had this condition in the past I totally understand your anguish. I remember how painful it was to walk on it. The only thing that helped me to recover was to exercise and perhaps as the result of it and losing weight as well the pain went away. Start by doing stretching, calf stretch and even though it feels painful at first it will help as you need to exercise that muscle at the bottom of the foot. Hope it helps. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Vallita1322. Unfortunately you can be sanctioned by Universal Credit for leaving paid employment without what they class as good reason. As you're not under a contract, I'd contact ACAS for advice, but I believe Poppy is correct in that you should be entitled to SSP.
    We also have some information about reasonable adjustments on our website which might be worth taking a look at.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes and employer must pay SSP whether you've signed a contract or not.
  • April2018mom
    Options
    Regarding SSP, my advice is to document everything. 
  • April2018mom
    Options
    Hello @Vallita1322. How are you today?
  • Vallita1322
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all your advice. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.