Are people on ESA entitled to claim Universal Credit too? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are people on ESA entitled to claim Universal Credit too?

Options
KnobblyKnees
KnobblyKnees Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Having heard of ridiculous delays in getting Universal Credit, would my ESA award be replaced by UC or supplement it? Also what box should I tick when it asks "Have you got a fit note from your doctor?" I ticked 'No' as I've been assessed for the ESA, but later on it stated I'd have to get a fit note from my GP but I'm fit for nothing.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @KnobblyKnees and welcome to the community. :)

If you have an established award for ESA, you do not need to provide fit notes to Universal Credit, they may ask for them but you need to make it clear you have a determined ESA award and this should be transitioned over to Universal Credit. Handing in new fit notes can result in triggering a reassessment under Universal Credit.

Are you currently receiving income-related or contribution-based ESA? Are you claiming any other benefits? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

May i ask what's the reason why you're claiming UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KnobblyKnees
    Options
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your reply. I get both income-related and contribution-based ESA. When filling out the form as I had ticked 'no' to a fit note I could not progress past the 'you have to get a fit note etc;' page. I've tried ringing the number but all it states is to use the website.

Hi Poppy, I'm trying to save up for an automatic as my left knee is shot and you have to be on UC to apply for the government's help to save perk. Also I'm not sure but I think you need it to qualify for pension credit which I shall also need in a few years. Why do you ask? Would you not recommend it? Does it replace ESA?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will not qualify for the government help to save because you need to be earning at least £542 for each assessment period while claiming UC and zero earnings because you don't work will not qualify you for this. See link for those that qualify.

As you're claiming ESA then i would advise that you remain on this, rather than change to UC. Managed migration for ESA doesn't start until at least 2020, possibly later, so it could be a few years yet.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KnobblyKnees
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.