Esa underpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa underpayment

maza
maza Community member Posts: 38 Connected
Hi all. I was taken off esa at end of Nov after an assessment.  I claimed universa credit in Dec  with sick notes handed in. In March i was awarded lcwra. But my question is if i was due any of the back money people are getting on esa would i still be contacted about it even though i am now on universal credit and not esa. Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When you were found fit for work for ESA did you request the MR then Tribunal if that failed? if so then what was the decision for that?

or did you just claim UC and had a work capability assessment for this?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maza
    I lost both mr and tribunal. 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm afraid this means that the ESA decision was correct to find you fit for work and because of this reason you won't be entitled to any backdated money for the SDP/UC legislation.

This is because when you claimed UC you must have been entitled to SDP within 1 month of claiming UC and because the decision to find you fit for work was correct your ESA stopped and you were no longer entitled to SDP. If the decision had been changed at MR or Tribunal stage then you would have been entitled to backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maza
    Thank you. Just my luck. Thought i would ask because i had read that if someone had died their family would get the payment.  So thought would still maybe get it. Thank you anyway. Mx
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear that. The same rules apply unfortunately, you must have been entitled to SDP within 1 month of claiming UC.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maza, I'm really sorry to hear this. Is there anything we can support you with?
    Scope

• maza
    No thanks. You have all always been so helpful here. Thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.