Worried here in my mind — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried here in my mind

sam12
sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
Don't know what to do. Keep getting urged to self harm but am trying not to about this support worker she scary 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sam12
    It is good you are fighting the urge to self harm, I know this is an on-going issue for you and so I hope you can continue to get the support you need.

MIND say:

During intense urges to hurt yourself, it can be hard to imagine that it's possible to do anything else.

But there are steps you can take to help you make other choices over time.

Distracting yourself from the urge to self-harm

The main way people help themselves when they want to self-harm is through distraction.

Different distractions work for different people, and the same distraction won't necessarily work for you every time. For example, distracting yourself from anger feels very different to distracting yourself from fear, so it's important that you have a few different strategies to choose from.

The following are simply suggestions. See if you can write your own table of distractions that you've found helpful or that you would like to try out.

Feelings

Possible distractions

anger and frustration

• exercise
    • hit cushions
    • shout and dance
    • shake
    • bite on bunched up material
    • tear something up into hundreds of pieces
    • go for a run

Expressing your anger physically, or by doing things like shouting, won't work for everyone and could intensify feelings. Try things out and continue with any that have a positive effect.

sadness and fear

• wrap a blanket around you
    • spend time with an animal
    • walk in nature
    • let yourself cry or sleep
    • listen to soothing music
    • tell someone how you feel
    • massage your hands
    • lie in a comfortable position and breathe in – then breathe out slowly, making your out-breath longer than your in-breath. Repeat until you feel more relaxed. (See our pages on relaxation).

need to control

• write lists
    • tidy up
    • have a throw-out
    • write a letter saying everything you are feeling, then tear it up
    • weed a garden
    • clench then relax all your muscles

numb and disconnected

• flick elastic bands on your wrists
    • hold ice cubes
    • smell something with strong odour
    • have a very cold shower
    shame
    • stop spending time with anyone who treats you unkindly
    • recognise when you are trying to be perfect and accept that making mistakes is part of being human
    • remind yourself that there are reasons for how you behave – it is not because you are 'bad'
    self-hatred – wanting to punish yourself
    • write a letter from the part of you that feels the self-hatred, then write back with as much compassion and acceptance as you can
    • find creative ways to express the self-hatred, through writing songs or poetry, drawing, movement or singing
    • do physical exercise (like running or going to the gym) to express the anger that is turned in on yourself

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sam12
    Playin music at moment to take of my mind  Will someone listen to this recorded msg about support worker she thinks it's joke
  • Sam_Alumni
    It wouldn't be appropriate to share any recording with the community regarding your support worker @sam12
    Scope
  • sam12
    Can i talk on phn now to someone 
  • sam12
    She wrong what she says I told someone last night she not honest in her job putting pressure on me wanting me to self harm 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @sam12
    You can call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 if you would like to speak to someone.
    Scope
  • sam12
    I mite in a bit i no idea who on though is there s female 
  • Sam_Alumni
    There are mixed staff on the helpline, you could ask to speak to a woman.
    Scope
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    Hi Sam
    I'm so sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time in your life. 
    Sam have you thought of contacting Samaritans? 
    What you tell them is in total confidence and you control the contact. You can phone, or text and even email or if there is a branch near where you live you can call into them and chat to a volunteer who will listen to you.
    Here is their website. You can contact samaritans anytime day or middle of the night all year round.
    www.samaritans.org
    Email: jo@samaritans.org
    Telephone: 116 123 (CALL FREE)
    Good luck Sam I hope you find this information helpful.
    Best Wishes 
  • sam12
    I already spoken to Georgia offered to help after pip get new support worker 

Brightness