Theraspecs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Theraspecs

deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
edited September 2019 in Cerebral palsy
I have fibromyalgia and have become sensitive to light. I found some glasses om the internet called theraspecs which are supposed to help with sensitivity to light and are recommended for people with fibromyalgia. I was wondering if anyone had tried them and if they are any good.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @deb74, I'm sorry no one has been able to share their experience of Theraspecs with you yet. I had a look online and most of the reviews are on the Theraspecs website which seem a little one-sided.
    There are some reviews on the US Amazon site which are quite mixed and I've found these two personal experience reviews which focus a little on light sensitivity: theinvisiblef and Achysmile. However, both of those reviewers received the items from Theraspecs to review.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Thanks. @Adrian_Scope. I thought I would ask because they are quite expensive and I didn't want to waste my money. They have rose tinted glass so I might just buy a pair of rose tinted sun glasses instead.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deb74 some tints are for cosmetic use only and unlikely to block the relevant light waves.

As I am not bothered by fashion I  use selectspecs. Unless your order includes extras for a single strength glasses you only pay for the frames. UV protection, anti glare and anti scratch coatings are included free. Besides having some of the cheapest frames - from £6 - they also have a shop in the UK and are practicing opticians. As they have an online presence you also have the option of emailing them with enquiries. Whilst I use them and recommenced them to friends and colleagues in this case I would suggest emailing them with your eye issues and just ask what they would recommend. It doesn't commit you to buy from them and at least the advice would be from professionals.

I do spend more to have blue light blocking lenses but again at a much cheaper prices than high street stores. They also have more expensive frames for the more fashion conscious.

For indoors switching from fluorescent lights to LED lights may also help you, they can be found on amazon. It would certainly get rid of the flickering effect.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• deb74
    Hi @ Geoark. Thanks.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Thanks @Geoark.
    Hope that was useful for you @deb74!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    Hi Adrian_Scope. It was thanks