How could I improve the life of a child with disabilities? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How could I improve the life of a child with disabilities?

jagobanham
jagobanham Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2019 in Research and opportunities
Hi members of Scope!

I am an A Level DT student and I am doing a project where I make a product that can potentially improve the life a child who has a disability. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about potential problems that a child that has a disability or uses a wheelchair faces that could be solved with me making a product. 

Thanks 

Jago

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jagobanham

My son is a full time wheelchair user. This is a nice idea! What product do you have in mind? Personally I would not mind a cleaning product as my son’s wheelchair seems to be dirty no matter how often I try wiping it down at the end of each day with a clean cloth and disinfectant too. Why don’t you design a survey asking about common problems often faced by those with disabilities? That way you can use the responses to help you design a product that would meet needs. 
  • jagobanham
    jagobanham Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello @April2018mom

I am ideally designing products for children aged 1-2 years old that have disabilities or use wheelchairs, I have come up with an idea such as some headphones that could be mounted to the wheelchair. Or maybe a metal ramp that can swivel around and be used. So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about products that I could make to make a child with a disability easier?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April2018mom

I am ideally designing products for children aged 1-2 years old that have disabilities or use wheelchairs, I have come up with an idea such as some headphones that could be mounted to the wheelchair. Or maybe a metal ramp that can swivel around and be used. So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about products that I could make to make a child with a disability easier?
    What about a educational app for wheelchair users? Often it is hard to distract my son when we are out at a restaurant or museum. Thanks in advance! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You do have to bare in mind the age of the child that will be using this. headphones for a child between the ages of 1-2 may not be a very good idea. Maybe if you increased the age range of the child then the headphones idea could work.

Good luck anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    at the age of 1 or 2, a child with a disability would not be a wheelchair user as they do not usually get these until older. 

If the age range was 4 and up then yes they probably would. 

any child between 1 and 2 would face the same issues as a disabled child as some will not walk until later, may have delayed speech etc would be using nappies etc, a child of 1-2 is pretty age-appropriate even when they are disabled as a parent has to do most of the things for them?  that's why mobility parts of benefits are not paid until the child is 3

am I making sense? I never articulate well :)

I am wondering if a sensory type of thing that attaches to pushchairs would work better, just a thought and then it could be used for children with disabilities and impairments and ones who have not 
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    ok so u have a blind 2 year old. can walk. for example. what would make a difference to that child. (i think ur brief is too broad) most kids that age r on harnesses. so how about one that has basic instructions and object sensors. so it picks up objects in the way (like parking assist) and either says stop and or vibrates (vibrations would make it potentionaly useful for deaf/blind) it could then say move left or right depending on what its picked up. 

its easier to work out what might help if u look at a less broad spectrum. 

and if u ever make that product i want royalties lol. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.