Letter showing date of diagnoses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter showing date of diagnoses

sue66
sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
Today I got copy of the consultants  diagnose of having CFS back in 1995. I was hoping to use this for backup however on reading it through although he says he has little doubt I had CFS one sentence also says examination of her musculoskeletal system was entirely normal. Of interest was that she was not at all tender over the classical fibromyalgia trigger points. Then he says the worsening of my symptoms may just relate to an early menopause  at 44 but I was till having periods till 56?   Im wondering if this letter will help me or hinder my case of getting the PIP, really ned some advice hear as I must send the form in soon.  Clearly it wasn't the menopause as at now 68 im still suffering.  Should I send in the letter with my PIP form or not?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Personally i wouldn't send it. The letter is dated 24 years ago, which is a long time. As it doesn't tell them anything that will help your claim then there's little point in sending it.

I would concentrate on sending more relevant evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sue66
    Thanks for your quick reply's and I do agree, was all a waste of time. What prompt  me do this was when my hubby went for his PIP assessment ,she asked if he had anything on him that may help, he showed her a copy of a section of paper work from previous tribunal from getting the DLA.  wasn't much just a consultants saying where he had problems in his spine somewhere that's all, Nothing to say how it affected him yet she took it and said oh this is very important this ,can I take a copy?  It never said how it affected him., He was lucky his assessor was a nice lady whos father had rheumatoid arthritis so she was sympathetic with all he was saying. He got standard rate of each . Think ill just take the letter with me on the day and play it by ear as they say if I still go ahead that is. !  
  • sue66
    edited September 2019
    Please be aware that the Tribunal Procedure rules mean that you must disclose all evidence you have. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/488476/consolidated-sec-rules.pdf and the over-riding objectives at 2 and case management powers at 5. 

Regardless of the relevance of the letter the fact that you have it me

• sue66
    edited September 2019
    sue66 said:
    Please be aware that the Tribunal Procedure rules mean that you must disclose all evidence you have. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/488476/consolidated-sec-rules.pdf and the over-riding objectives at 2 and case management powers at 5. 

Regardless of the relevance of the letter the fact that you have it means it must be put into evidence. Any inkling that you have withheld evidence can lead to either an adjournment or a reduction in the extent to which your other evidence is given credence.

Thanks for pointing this out  Username_removed

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    Yeah, as an assessor I would not take anything on that letter into consideration as soon as I saw the date. All is does is confirm who diagnosed it. It says nothing about your functional ability.
    Wish you was my assessor, mine was obsessed with diagnosis.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.