Carers Allowance and Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance and Universal Credit

MissDeeMeanor
MissDeeMeanor Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi,
My son has just become my Carer and has applied for UC. We know CA will be deducted from the UC and that for the first few weeks (either 5 or 13) he will be on a very very low income. After that though, we are confused.
Some places say he will get a Carers Element added (I assume this is after 13 weeks) and other places say he will get the LCWRA element as it is higher (again, I assume only after 13 weeks)
Most places, including on here only mention the Carers Element, so which will he get?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hi,

He will be entitled to the standard allowance of £317.82 if over 25 or £251.77 if under 25. Then he'll receive the carers element which is £160.20 but he'll need to make sure he tells them that he's caring for at least 35 hours per week and then this element will be added and he doesn't need to wait any length of time to receive this element.

£289 per month will be deducted from his UC because of the carers allowance.

He won't receive the LCWRA element unless he has a limited capability for work because of a health condition.

There's also a 5 week wait for his first UC payment. He can claim for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid from future UC payments.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MissDeeMeanor
    Thank You. After re-reading the information regarding LCWRA I've realised it only relates to someone who is unable to work during illness. The website where I read this didn't mention this but just said Carers will get the Carer Element or LCWRA, whichever is the highest. So looks like our son will be expected to live on £95 a week and some of that he will need to give us for housekeeping .... yipppe, lol.

• MissDeeMeanor
    Do you know if he will get the Carer Element at 5 weeks or 13? And will he have to fill in a UC50 or do a WCA?
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2019
    You are getting confused by what you read. What was actually meant by what you read is that someone with a limited capability for work and claims LCWRA element and is also a carer can't be paid both elements at the same time, so they will receive the higher amount, which is LCWRA.

Your son doesn't have a limited capability for work so the LCWRA element doesn't apply to him. This means that he won't need to fill out the UC50 form or attend a WCA.

If he's over 25 he will receive £189 per month UC and £66.15 per week Carers allowance.
    If he's under 25 he will receive £122.97 UC per month and £66.15 per week carers allowance.

When he claims UC he needs to state that he's caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and then once he receives his first payment 5 weeks after he claims they should add the carers element. If he doesn't state he's a carer then they most likely won't add the carers element.

As he's carer then he will be placed into the no work requirements group but he will need to attend his first UC appointment at his local job centre to confirm his identity.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MissDeeMeanor
    Thanks again. Yes, I realise now I had understood it incorrectly but it was the way it is written. Others have read the same and also came to the conclusion I did.
    I already have one son on UC but that's because he has Autism & Learning difficulties. Thankfully after filling in the UC50 for him, he didn't need to do a WCA.
    Good to hear we won't have to this time either. With all the PIP forms and assessments we are dealing with, one less form and assessment is great news.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @MissDeeMeanor and welcome to the community. It can be quite confusing can't it?
    I see @poppy123456 has already answered your query (thanks Poppy!) I just wanted to add that it's £286.65 that'll be deducted from his monthly Universal Credit because of the overlap of Carer's Allowance, not £289.

When he applies for UC he needs to be very sure he specifies he is a carer so that they add on the carers element. 

I hope that helps, but any questions please don't hesitate to ask! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MissDeeMeanor
    Hi and thanks. Yes, all clear now. We may have to re-think a few things as £95 a week is not really enough for him to live on, especially as he still needs to contribute towards the household costs.
  • poppy123456
    He can work while claiming carers allowance providing he doesn't earn anymore than £123 per week after deductions.
  • MissDeeMeanor
    He can work while claiming carers allowance providing he doesn't earn anymore than £123 per week after deductions.
    Yes, we think that will be the route to go down. He volunteers for the local fire service so he is hoping a job comes up there. But if not, he has been offered a job elsewhere.
  • poppy123456
    That's great news! Do be aware that if he doesn't earn over that amount in any week then he won't be entitled to carers allowance. Good luck to your son with his job.
  • MissDeeMeanor
    Yes. Both myself and hubby have been carers for 20+ years so am OK with that side of things. Sadly it's taken it's toll on my health which is why I now need a Carer as well.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.