Employment and the work environment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment and the work environment.

Options
RGibbs
RGibbs Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Good evening, 

At present I am an Assistant SENCo in a mainstream secondary school working with pupils who have a life limiting conditions and disabilities. Last year when coordinating the support for Yr10 work experience it became very apparent that navigating the working world with a disability can prove to be very challenging. 

I am also studying at present and am due to start my dissertation in the coming weeks. I hope to focus my studies on how accessible companies are and if they make the "reasonable adjustments" that they are expected to through the Equality Act 2010. My aim is to provide better opportunities for the pupils I work with and potentially others in the wider world.

For now my focus is to find companies that have been supportive of employee’s different abilities and making the required adaptations for those abilities to really shine. If you have had an experience of a particular company or organisation and feel comfortable to share, please do!

Thank you in advance, any input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @RGibbs
    Examples of reasonable adjustments include: 

A lowered desk for people with dwarfism 
    A modified workspace
    A access ramp outside the building for wheelchair users
    A special keyboard for blind workers
    A modified working schedule for people who are tired easily
    A change in mindset for all employees with disabilities
    A gradual return to work for people who have had operations
    A work coach 
    A notebook for people with dyslexia/dyscalculia 

Hope this is useful! For more information https://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6074

Brightness