Pip MR — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip MR

baggsy26
baggsy26 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
I appealed against a pip decision I rang today to be told the decision has been upheld so does this mean no change in decision 

Comments

• baggsy26
    I have just rang and been told that my pip decision has been upheld does this mean still no points scored many thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

In this case "upheld" means the decision remained the same. You now have 1 month from the date of that decision to request the Tribunal but you'll need to wait for the decision letter before doing this because you need that letter to request it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • baggsy26
  • baggsy26
    Don’t think a tribunal is worth the stress but thanks anyway but CAB told me last week that it is worth going all the way because I should be entitled to something 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. 74% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour. Whether you're entitled to anything will depend how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Tribunals have extremely long backlogs and some are waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date but certainly worth it if you're certain you qualify. Only you can decide what to do. Good luck what ever you decide.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • baggsy26
    Thank you but I think I will leave it it’s too much head work 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @baggsy26 don't give up. Take a couple of days to think about about it and read some of the success stories on here where people felt quite hopeless but then gained an award further down the line. 
  • baggsy26
    @Cressida I don’t think that coronary heart disease exists when it comes to pip they must feel it’s not important enough.
  • baggsy26
    And I can’t seem to find any articles on here of success stories for it neither I’ll pop to cab today to see what they say thanks 
  • poppy123456
    baggsy26 said:
    @Cressida I don’t think that coronary heart disease exists when it comes to pip they must feel it’s not important enough.
    That's because PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    As @poppy123456 alludes, claimants often put a great deal of effort into establishing the medical picture and feel aggrieved when this does not get them benefit.

DWP do not disregard any condition - or, for that matter, undiagnosed disability or health problems. However, it is up to the claimant to explain how their condition(s) affects their ability to carry out the activities laid down for the benefit, so that they are allocated the correct descriptors. The assessor and decision maker cannot make your case for benefit for you, however obvious you feel that need should be based on your medical position. Some medical evidence that supports the claim is helpful, but the most important thing is to establish the functional position in relation to the activities.

You can take ten people with coronary heart disease and you will likely have ten very different functional pictures. Some might be able to walk 250m with only a small amount of physical distress; the likely score in this situation for  "getting around" is 0 points ("Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided"). Others might be in severe pain and get very breathless as soon as they take a few steps; the likely score for "getting around" is 12 points ("Can stand and then move more than 1 metres but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided").
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @baggsy26, how did you get on with CAB today? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • baggsy26
    @Adrian_Scope I got to go on Thursday will keep you updated 
  • baggsy26
    Hi guys just an update after waiting what seems like months for a date for my tribunal had a telephone call this morning from pip to say they have reversed my decision and have awarded me enhanced on both which was a shock for me didn't realise they do it at this stage so my advice to anyone is keep going don't give up and good luck all 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @baggsy26! Thank you for letting us all know!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.