SDP, housing benefit and ESA - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP, housing benefit and ESA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    May i ask what reason you gave for claiming housing benefit? I'm very very surprised that your local council didn't check that an existing award of SDP wasn't in payment before awarding the housing benefit.

I'm also confused about the bedroom tax "kicking in, in 13 weeks" Are you renting privately or from social housing?

I think the best thing you can do is take all your paper work to a local advice agency for further advice because you could have problems claiming Income Related ESA because DWP will check that an existing SDP claim is in payment before awarding you any benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jeanus44
    Jeanus44 Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    They turned me down first time for HB but then rang me to say they had made a mistake and I could claim..It says something about being protected in the HB for 13 weeks as I had not claimed in the last 12 months..I really dont know..Maybe things have changed again..You know what our government are like..Ive just found a phone number for the councils benefit advice dept so I will ring them tomorrow and see what is going on..Thanks for your help and watch this space :-)
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Things have definitely not changed and no new claims of any of the old benefits have been possible since December 2018 when all areas became a full UC area.

One question you should ask your local council is why you were allowed to claim HB to start with, especially as you were refused at first.

Good luck with that call and please come back and let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    @Jeanus44 just 1 other thought. Do you live in supported or sheltered housing?
  • Jeanus44
    No. I live in a private rented flat
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for confirming that. Then my advice is correct, you shouldn't have been allowed to claim HB. There's also no bedroom tax for you because you're privately renting. You will be receiving the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance.

• Jeanus44
    Update.. My HB is ok but they said they dont pay the SDP on it..I phoned esa and have applied again. The lady was surprised that the council didnt pay the SDP. She said most councils do. If I am accepted on to ESA then they will pay the HB from there but any queries I will still have to contact my council
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jeanus44 and welcome to the community. 
    Housing benefit are correct that they don't pay SDP but they do add it to your claim if you are entitled.
    Like Poppy I'm a little confused as to why you were allowed to claim HB but now you have and as you have SDP included on your claim you should be allowed to claim legacy benefits, including ESA.
    Please let us know how you get on, I will be interested to hear how this develops.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jeanus44
    Hi @Jeanus44 and welcome to the community. 
    Housing benefit are correct that they don't pay SDP but they do add it to your claim if you are entitled.
    Like Poppy I'm a little confused as to why you were allowed to claim HB but now you have and as you have SDP included on your claim you should be allowed to claim legacy benefits, including ESA.
    Please let us know how you get on, I will be interested to hear how this develops.

Thanks Adrian

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Wow, agreed, how on earth  this happen? Please do let us know how things develop, @Jeanus44!
  • poppy123456
    Waylay said:
    Wow, agreed, how on earth  this happen? Please do let us know how things develop, @Jeanus44!
    I have no idea and i'm still totally confused.
  • Jeanus44
    Waylay said:
    I have no idea and i'm still totally confused.
    So am I but at least some progress has been made. You know I dont think any of these different departments know what is happening either..Completely bonkers :-)
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @Jeanus44

Isn't almost everything just completely bonkers nowadays though?! 

(not helpful, sorry)  :D
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Jeanus44, how are you getting on? Have they allowed you to put in a claim for ESA now?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jeanus44
    Hi @Jeanus44, how are you getting on? Have they allowed you to put in a claim for ESA now?
    Hi Adrian. I've put the claim in and just have to send some paperwork to them which I will do after. The DWP is only on the next street to me..Fingers crossed I will be ok this time 

• Jeanus44
    Jeanus44 said:
    Hi Adrian. I've put the claim in and just have to send some paperwork to them which I will do after. The DWP is only on the next street to me..Fingers crossed I will be ok this time 

BTW I've just found this on the site which covers me I think. ....Most new claims are for 'New Style' ESA. You can only claim the old-style contribution-based ESA if you receive a Severe Disability Premium on another benefit or you were entitled to this in the month before you make the claim.
  • poppy123456
    That's correct but because your housing benefit shouldn't have been awarded to you then this could potentially cause problems, i hope it doesn't and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Do let us know the outcome.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Housing benefit and the ESA are dealt with by different departments so other than getting in touch to check you're getting SDP, they shouldn't query why you've been able to claim housing benefit. Hopefully it'll be a smooth and easy process from here. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jeanus44
    Just heard from ESA to say my first payment will be in the bank in 3 days.. Thanks for all your help! 
  • poppy123456
    Great news! Make sure you're also claiming the SDP in with your ESA payment because it pays an extra £65.85 per week.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.