The importance of prevention — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The importance of prevention

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
Today is World Suicide Prevention Day, a day that allows us to come together and raise awareness of the fantastic resources out there that could help someone in their moment of crisis and highlight the work being done to help raise awareness of mental health and the signs of suicide.

The Lions Barber Collective are creating safe spaces where men can open up about how they’re feeling.

“There is a special bond between a man and his barber.” Tommie, an ambassador of Lions Barber Collective says. “A man will tell his barber things he wouldn't tell his best friend or his wife but it is rare for someone to sit down in your chair and get straight to the chase.

"I find it is more about noticing the smaller things, that somehow today they seem a bit different and you can't put your finger on it, it's more the idiosyncrasies."

Dr Rachel Gow, founder of Nutritious Minds is running a community music project designed to improve the mental wellbeing and confidence of kids.

“...it’s about raising awareness of the transformative and healing properties of music, and building self-esteem and empowering young people to pursue their passions.”

Tonight Suicidal: In Our Own Words, a documentary examining the topic of male suicide airs on Channel 5 at 9.15pm.

“Every minute across the world one man takes his own life and one out of every six who make an attempt try again with a year.”

Please remember, if you need to talk to someone, you can call Samaritans on 116 123 24/7 or get in touch with them by emailing jo@samaritans.org

What resources do you think might be useful to someone at the point of crisis? Have you seen anything interesting used to raise awareness of or prevent suicide?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I watched that programme on C5 last night and thought it was really good.  I've seen a few similar programmes over the last few years, documenting real life MH issues instead of the mask or façade that a lot of us use publicly.  I don't remember ever seeing anything like this during the 90's and 00's so I'd say to keep making programmes like this would help raise awareness further, I don't think there's any other platform with such a wide audience.  I've got a lot of respect for those guys going on national TV and sharing their experiences.

It's something I can personally identify with and think about every day, but ironically it's the OCD & anxiety that stops me ever being able to go through with it, despite also being the main thing that has robbed me of any sort of life.  I can't risk failing and having to live through the injury & recovery rather than the intention which is immediate & painless.  What I'd really like to see is somewhere you could talk openly & honestly about this though, having a two sided conversation with someone else that's either in the same position or has been there before, and where you don't feel like you're burdening them or asking for pity & sympathy.  It's not something I'd ever mention to the GP or benefits assessors through fear of being put on a 'watch list' or worst case into a hospital.  It's not something I can mention to family for obvious reasons...they don't even understand the basic MH issues I have.  And although I have one or two online mates that have experienced MH issues, they don't seem to be on the scale and have been very shocked when I've just touched on the subject so I've not gone any further with it.  

Out of interest, what do Samaritans actually do or say to people that are in crisis?  I assume people that phone them don't actually want to go through with it, they're just desperate to get away from their current problems?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   How are you today?  We have spoken before.

Sorry to hear you not too good.  I know every day is a difficult day for you.

I have used The Samaritans. They are good people it is important if you feel you need to talk to them if your experiencing problems.

They offer a lot of guidance, advice and support.  

I would just like to add your mentioning mental health. Find others and attitudes all wrong sorry to hear that.

Please can I suggest if you are finding life a struggle there is nothing wrong in getting the right support, guidance, advice and help.

Please can I also add hospital often the last resort and only if it is needed. Understand the fears, insecurities around mental health.

What is necessary give yourself some time to deal with these issues that are bothering you.

I know that you maybe think different to me. 

I have had mine since early teens and to give your reassurance and lots of confidence it is how you deal with those issues.

I am not ashamed know my health history will heal others so use it.  Lived with new changes constantly have to cope.

There is a need to express how you are and feeling is to think of ways of using this forum.

No one knows who you are.  We learn from  each other.

I suffer like you do but there are places to go to. Talk be educated, learn and be knowledgeable about your mental health.

Mental health charities many you can self refer. I know many have a policy of not identify clientele never had.

Who will know. 

They offer support meetings where you meet others like your self.

Please if I can explain what happens if this gives you some confidence in making the first steps.

You can self refer or through your GP.  The Mental health team will contact you and then they will ask how they can help you offer anything.

Usually do a care programme to suit your needs.

Then if you wish to join support meetings.. Which helps you to deal with anything.

The whole ideas of mental health charities is to give you the tools to cope with. Mentioned this coping methods, strategies.

Does help. 

Especially for me.  This week.

Happy to be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is why we need awareness! I'll have to watch that documentary with my partner tonight and report back. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I watched this programme, so very very sad. :(
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Thanks for your post.  Understand the need for awareness.  High lighting the information.

One of the reasons I often put much as I can about those going through mental health issues on any replies.  

On my posts I often give detail of how I am today what I am experiencing..

Another reason putting the charities I have used.

Also am always mentioning certain aspects of mental health.

The need to talk how am I and think this does help me but with a view to help others.

Who have some problems and issues. I have lots of time, patience and tolerance for those with similar feelings and emotions.

Having been suicidal a long time ago.  Mainly through addiction and those not wishing to understand me. I found the need to think of that place.  Been in a crisis although now have the need to always share.

Glad to get the help, support, information to live a life and remove stigmas, obstacles.

What helped was the mental health charities the advice, guidance of those support workers. After being rebuffed walked over by others.

Thank you very much for them being there. When I needed them most.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   How are you today?  We have spoken before.

Morning, @thespiceman thanks for your reply and thanks for asking.  I've had a busy week this week.  Now that the weather is cooler and roads and attractions are quieter since the school holidays are finished it's a bit easier for me to get out and about.  I've been out almost every day so far averaging a couple of hours at a time.  It's played havoc with my digestion (IBS etc) but has served as a good distraction which has made the intrusive thoughts more manageable this week!  Off to a local historical site this afternoon.  Hope you're well, OA. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    It's great to hear you're getting out a bit @OverlyAnxious, you'll have to tell us about the historical site when you get back. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    It's great to hear you're getting out a bit @OverlyAnxious, you'll have to tell us about the historical site when you get back. :)
    Thanks Adrian, it went well tbh, stayed there about 2.5 hours and only had 2 'minor' panic attacks in that time, no major meltdowns or uncontrollable bathroom emergencies.  I won't say exactly what it was to give away my location but it was definitely worth going.  Getting out in green spaces really does help, and having something specific to see and do works as a good distraction too.  Although I'm diagnosed with agoraphobia I'm not housebound yet...and want to try and avoid it ever getting that bad, can't imagine how it must feel for those that can't get out at all!
  • Adrian_Scope
    You've definitely got the right mindset. It's great you're helping yourself by getting out @OverlyAnxious. Someone I cared for had agoraphobia. Without realising that was what was happening, she became housebound and it took many years of graded exposure to get her back to a point where she could even go out for more than a few minutes.
    She always said with hindsight that she wished she'd challenged herself more in those early stages.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness