Home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home

mickyboy
mickyboy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
trying to find out about some where to live, as I live with my daughter and 2 children, have been here 2 years now, have copd and 3 strokes but not disabled as can do most things, just loneliness and isolation and somebody to keep eye on me, any advice on where to start, have looked into retirement places but cost fortune.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not easy if you claim benefits. It's just taken me 9 months to find a private landlord that accepts those claiming DSS. There are landlords out there but they are mostly very few and far between.

I searched the internet for agencies that accept DSS and it came up with a few for my area but it still wasn't easy. I always found properties were taken so fast. Then there's the added extras of "yes, we take DSS BUT you need a guarantor" that may not be easy for a lot of people.

Try this link and put the postcode in of the area you want. http://www.dssmove.co.uk/
    Gumtree is also worth looking at for you area.
    Shelter may also be useful as they may have some extra advice for you.

Social housing is extremely difficult if not almost impossible in most areas because waiting lists are so long. If you're a single person then it's even more difficult.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mickyboy

Contact your local council. They may be able to handle your questions and offer more specific advice regarding your situation. Have you looked at Gumtree or not? Since you say you are not severely disabled, I say go for it as long as you think you can cope with independent living! You can find more information on this website  https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/campaigns/what_is_social_housing.

To answer your other question have you considered having a carer? There are lots of care companies in Britain, but first you need to ring your local council to ask for a needs assessment. Once that is done, call up local care companies or take a look at their website to see what kind of services are available. Or you could use private carers (although you do need to remember to check their references and insist on a full DBS check being done beforehand). For more information on the different types of care services, visit this link https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/
  • mickyboy
    No point I haveing career when no where to live yet
  • mickyboy
    Might as well do my self in
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mickyboy, how are you today?
    Have you been in touch with your local council to discuss getting added to their waiting list? What sort of place are you looking for? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mickyboy
    Not am easy task, just finding out so stress full 

Brightness