Direct payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct payments

terrence
terrence Community member Posts: 14 Listener
hello, I didn't realise disabled people with physical or mental  or both needs. May be able to qualify for direct paments. Any advise please

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @terrence!

To qualify for direct payments, you need to have a needs assessment done by your local council first. This is different across the UK but your local council can help you. You can use the direct payments to pay for adaptive equipment or to pay for a carer to help you with daily living tasks the choice is up to you. 
    Make sure you keep a copy of all receipts. I suggest you contact your local council to request a needs assessment, this is the first step of the process. 
    We are in the process of getting a needs assessment done. Here is a useful info booklet on direct payments and what you can use the money for. 
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/money-work-and-benefits/personal-budgets/
    Many councils will however check to make sure you are using the money appropriately. Good luck! 
  • terrence
    Thank you so much for your reply
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,346 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    @April2018mom, i'm afraid your advice is not correct. Direct payments can't be used to pay for adaptive equipment. It's there to help pay for someone's care and the money can only be spent on what is stated in the care plan.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    terrence said:
    hello, I didn't realise disabled people with physical or mental  or both needs. May be able to qualify for direct paments. Any advise please
    Hi,

Do be aware that some people have to pay a contribution towards the care/support they need, this will depend on circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @terence, it's great to have you here. Just to confirm, you cannot use direct payments for equipment.

Like @poppy123456 has said, the first step is a needs assessment. Please do keep us updated and let us know if we can do anything else to help! :)
    Scope

• terrence
    Hello, can a person claim care allowance and direct payments
  • poppy123456
    terrence said:
    Hello, can a person claim care allowance and direct payments
    There are completely different things. Carers allowance can only be claimed if the person being cared for claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. It can also affect other benefits they are claiming if they claim the severe disability premium in another benefit.

The person claiming the carers allowance mustn't earn anymore than £123 per week after deductions.

For direct payments then the advice i gave above is correct.

Brightness