Struggling in my job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling in my job

loucie
loucie Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited September 2019 in Work and employment
i recently started my new job as a Carer. I'm 57 & have never done this  kind of work before. I'm finding it extremely hard, exhaustion & very painful feet. I suffer with osteoarthritis in my knees and there is a lot of kneeling & crouching involved. My Doctor has signed me off for 2 weeks but I can't afford to be off as I won't get paid enough to cover bills etc. I'm in a dilemma and not  sure which way to move forward. My Doctor says I may have chronic fatigue syndrome and that's what she put on sick form. Do you have any advice you can help me with ? I don't want to  carry on in this job as I am struggling so much. If I just give up work what will I be entitled to? Thank you

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hello @loucie

Welcome to Scope! I’m sorry to hear that. [Removed by moderator] Perhaps you could talk to one of your co workers or line manager. Do you work at a care home or not? If so it may be a good idea to discuss things with the manager of the care home. They might also be able to help you. What does the consultant say? 

Have you researched other careers? What about a desk job in a office instead? I work in a office five days a week helping people. That might be something you could do. Do you have a resume? Make a non exhaustive list of your skills and qualities then go from there. What sort of job would you enjoy doing? Consider your answer to that question carefully. A position in the care industry is not for everybody on this planet. I don’t blame you. 

Think about your hobbies as well. My advice is to research jobs online. Do you have any contacts? If so, speak with them. Find out as much as possible about other careers. There are career events, maybe you should go to one of them? Keep us updated on your search and good luck. Hopefully you’ll be able to find something else soon. But do not give up if you have not found another job yet. That is not recommended. Stay positive and flexible. It certainly helps. 

Alternatively, you can contact people directly via email or by phone. Another way to find work is to check your local newspaper to see if there are any job vacancies. You could also be a entrepreneur. Sign up with career opportunity sites like LinkedIn etc as well. Think outside of the box. Get into that habit early. It will help in the future. Seriously. 

Often companies post a small number of opportunities on their website, look on there to find vacancies available. Make sure to read the job description and person specification properly or print off the document then highlight/circle all important words. In the meantime can you sign off work indefinitely? Is that a option? 

I recommend not rushing things. Find out what the job involves then make a informed decision. Do not act based on limited information alone. Make a appointnent with a career advisor to discuss your options plus the pros and cons if you are not finding roles you can do.

Prepare for interviews. Visit your local library and borrow books on finding work and interview techniques. Or read articles online. Brush up on your interview skills just in case. Polish your resume. 

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucie and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what is happening, it sounds like a stressful time for you. Please do not share the company you work for as that is your privacy and such information should not be shared online. I personally am unable to advise but I'm sure many community members will be along soon to share their thoughts. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do let us know :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    @loucie You are your own best advocate. Only you can truly know what is best for you and what you can and can't cope with. 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited September 2019
    Hi @loucie and welcome to the community. Have you discussed reasonable adjustments with your employer? Unfortunately a lot of benefits will penalise you for giving up work 'voluntarily', meaning you can go without payment. New style ESA might be an option for you. You can read about the eligibility here.

@April2018mom I've moderated your post. Please avoid asking people for information that may identify them. Our community is intended to be an anonymous safe space for our members.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ren_Scope
    Ren_Scope Scope Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi @loucie

Im sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with balancing your health and your job.

If you do have an ongoing health condition, you may be able to apply for PIP, which is a non means tested benefit which replaced Disability Living Allowance a little while ago. 

Another option may be to get in touch with the Support to Work service at Scope where an Adviser may be able to discuss with you, your transferable skills and the different roles you may be suited to and the support that is out there for people with disabilities, that work.

If this is something you would be interested in, please click on the link below and register your interest online and someone will be in touch with you soon.

https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

Best of luck,
    Ren

Ren
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness