Should we be worried? Possible seizure. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should we be worried? Possible seizure.

KSchall
KSchall Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
We have suspected my HIE son to have seizures for some time, however they have often been very brief and we are unable to record them for our neurologist.

today my son had another episode that lasted more than a minute and my wife was able to get about 20 seconds recorded. He does not appear to respond to her speaking or to touch.

Is this a possible seizure or would anyone be concerned?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0u6mDE2qt4yZ6NCniotLxLPdw

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger

We are not medically trained here and will be unable to answer your question. Please speak to his GP or Consultant.

I hope you get some answers soon. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited September 2019
    Hello @KSchall. It must be really worrying to witness and even more stressful to not know what's causing it. 
    When are you next meeting with the neurologist? It's probably a good thing you've been able to get the recording, even if it's only short. 
    If you're not meeting with your neurologist or a doctor for a while and you're concerned about your son's wellbeing, it might be worth seeing if you can move up the appointment or if you think it's more urgent, taking him to A and E.

All the best to you all. Please let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @KSchall

Unfortunately this is not something we can help with. If your son is having seizures, please tell his neurologist. Try keeping a diary of your son's seizures. When is his next neurologist appointment? If he has a prolonged seizure, go straight to the hospital. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you today @KSchall
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KSchall, I imagine this was worrying to witness. I hope you are all okay.

How are things at the moment?
    Scope

• KSchall
    KSchall Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Thanks thanks for the replies, sorry it’s take me so long to get back.

His neurologist is not concerned but his pediatrician is. So we have scheduled a 2nd opinion with a different hospital that has a highly rated pediatric neurology program( 4 th in nation) but have to wait until November because they are pretty busy. 

He has a previously scheduled mri for next week and a 90 minute EEG we just scheduled for next month.

hoping those provide more insight. He has had 2 of these episodes this week.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KSchall, I'm glad things are being done and that you have tests in the pipeline. I imagine it's still stressful to not know what is going on at the moment.

I hope you are able to find some time out, to relax and look after yourselves. I really hope you don't have to wait too long for a second opinion.
    Scope

Brightness