Locked out of sexual health services — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Locked out of sexual health services

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
As part of Sexual Health Awareness Week, Sophie Gallagher of HuffPost speaks to 3 Women On Being 'Locked Out' Of Sexual Health Services Due To Their Disability
Kym Oliver, 33, from south London has had her fair share of bad sexual health appointments. There was the time, aged 20, when her legs were hoisted into stirrups and the nurse left the room – with no explanation – before returning with a male consultant and five junior doctors. Without greeting Oliver, they started discussing the tilted position of her cervix. “I felt like a curiosity in a museum,” she says. Although she left that checkup with a “bad taste in her mouth”, she had at least been able to access the service. It was only when she suddenly developed multiple sclerosis five years later, and became a full-time wheelchair user, that she saw how inaccessible sexual health services in the UK are for disabled people.

HuffPost
Have you been prevented from accessing sexual health services? What would help you access what you need?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, my mammograms are extremely painful and difficult to complete. I am a wheelchair user too and the machinery is definitely NOT wheelchair friendly.
    In fact I was so distressed by my last mammogram that I dont want to go again.

I discussed this with the ladies performing the procedure and they said she had heard this before and if I wasnt going to attend for future appointments, then I should be breast aware and check myself.

But isnt this a cop out for them? Thousands of women could be similarly affected.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Is Scope going to voice our concerns about this for us? Can we start a petition or something?

Brightness