Pip due to end feb 2020 - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip due to end feb 2020

Comments

• anthonyj1
    anthonyj1 Community member Posts: 115 Courageous
    Thanks again poppy, think my sister is worried how they will be bcos of the gentlemen's abruptness and impoliteness when he rang her
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    All forms are sent to the health assessment providers because a decision can't be made without an assessment report being written and this happens for both face to face and paper based assessments.

For the rest then i'm afraid it's impossible to try to second guess anything at this stage. Good luck for the assessment and don't forget to request that report about a week later.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anthonyj1
    I wont ive told my sister already, thanks again 4 your help, its such a difficult process and dont think i will cope very well at this assessment, not gud with strangers in my home but will keep u updated xx  enjoy the rest of ur wkend xx
  • anthonyj1
    Hi poppy/everyone i"ve received my pip home assessment form but have got to rearrange as cab cant attend on the day. Im worried about questions about driving as apparently a lot of people are getting pip refused because they drive. I only drive short distances on my own i.e to the local shop to get liquid 4 my e cigarette which is 1 minute away in the car and always early when it is quiet, cannot do unfamiliar journeys on my own get to panicked about it and other journeys always completed with someone in the car with me. Any advice on this subject poppy or anyone please
  • poppy123456
    Do be aware that you can only cancel an appointment once, you must attend the next one.

All of your conditions and how they affect you should have been explained in the form that you returned back, you will just need to verify what was written. Driving can sometimes go against you. All you can do is be honest when you answer those questions. If it's mental health you're claiming for then whether you'll be awarded points for following and planning a journey will depend how your conditions affect you. It's difficult to give any advice without knowing everything about your conditions and how they affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • anthonyj1
    Thanks poppy, the mobilty part not really bothered about, my sister and cab just answered the questions on the form
    ts going to unfamiliar places and unfamiliar people that causes the problem, condotions are ptsd, severe clinical depression, severe anxiety, insomnia, parannoia and extremely wary of unfamiliar people, 
    My sister has decided to go ahead with this appt due to the stress it is causing. A family friend will be present
    Just have to see how it goes, thanks poppy as always 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    anthonyj1 said:
    ... apparently a lot of people are getting pip refused because they drive.
    @anthonyj1 - I think it will depend on what tasks you have said that you have difficulty with..

It seems that the assessors ask about driving, which is not included in the PIP descriptors, in order to 'corroborate' what you have said in other parts of your application. If you are able to drive they assume - rightly or wrongly - that you have good cognitive skills, can get in and out of the car, sit for long periods, grip the key and put it in the ignition, are coordinated, and a lot more besides...

This might contradict what you have put if, for example, you claim that you can't hold a vegetable peeler, understand a recipe or find your way from A to B...

Good luck...

PS I'm not saying that this is right, just what seems to happen based on my assessment...

• anthonyj1
    Thanks 4 ur reply cristobel, what happened with ur assessment? If u dont mind me asking? 
  • cristobal
    @anthonyj1 - I don't mind ...

In brief, I had an assessor who came across as uncaring and wasn't a very good interviewer either. Lots of leading questions, assumptions, irregularities, and a report that was written in poor English with bad grammar, typos and meaningless paragraphs.

Turned out alright though - I convinced them to alter all the mistakes, and write it in English, and was successful at MR...

Mine was a nightmare - but I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority. Most are OK...
  • anthonyj1
    Thanks for letting me know, 
    I will keep u updated
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    I have been marked down in my assessment because I drive..that I drive once or twice a week and only short distances seems to make the assessor presume I can walk more than 20m..utter rubbish...I’m not weight bearing when I’m driving and have no problem with my feet, it’s my knees, hip and back which are the problem..I’ve yet to speak to a case manager as my case is still in the queue waiting to be assigned but I ring every other day because I am determined to put my point across before they make their decision..it’s very wrong to presume because you can drive you are capable of walking further than you can with no taking into account the amount of pain walking causes you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @anthonyj1, I hope things go well for you!
    Scope

• anthonyj1
    Not good is it Chloe!!! Seems like your not allowed to be ill or have health problems, its absolutely ridiculous what they are putting everyone through. I`ve tried to overdose may this year because I cant stand the lack of mental health resources, medication not working and these constant claim forms. If it wasn't for my family I wouldn't be here and now I have to worry that I drive my car to the local shop (which is 30 seconds away) any other car journeys are accompanied. other than that I don't leave the house. Sorry you have had such a raw deal, I'm yet to hear a positive with this pip!!! will keep u updated, take care and hope it goes well with the case manager, keep us updated xx
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Anthony, my hisband’s first PIP claim was refused, MR refused but he won at appeal..fast forward to his second, application in, really nice assessor, DWP rang him to ask a couple of questions and was awarded higher rate mobility and lower rate care which was the correct award, so that was a nice simple case, but the poor assessments seem to far outweigh the good ones..my assessor has obviously copied and pasted certain sections on my assessment because it’s not even relevant and according to her my right and left legs have the exact same range of movement whereas in reality my left leg is far worse, she declined my medical records when I gave them to her and has mentioned my I’ve been told my hips may well improve....poppycock, I told her, and put it my application it’s my knees which have been replaced and one is ok but the other is still not right but my consultant told me it “may” improve over the coming months but just as likely it won’t..my hips are full of arthritis and not been replaced yet so no way they are going to improve until I have them replaced...
  • poppy123456
    @anthonyj1 "I'm yet to hear a positive with this pip!!!"

Lots of people successfully claim PIP and continue to claim it after a review but we rarely hear the good stories because if someone's had a decision they are happy with we don't hear their story because they have no questions to ask.

I claim PIP standard living and enhance mobility and have claimed it since 2013. Was successfully awarded at review with an increase to my mobility from standard to enhanced. All my conditions are physical.

My daughter also claims PIP enhanced for both parts, successfully awarded again at review and her award stayed the same. She claims for ASD, learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

I just wanted to prove that people are successfully awarded, even after a review. Good luck with yours.
  • anthonyj1
    Thanks poppy and I will update whether mine is successful or not. I think people need to hear about positive claims as well as problematic claims. Glad yours have been successful
  • cristobal
    @anthonyj1 - I think people generally tend to post negative stories - mainly because they are looking for advice but also to have a good whinge - I was the same.

It's just human nature but it is important to remember, as Poppy says, that most people don't have a problem...

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish you the best of luck with your claim @anthonyj1. Unfortunately we won't hear the positives as often, but they do happen! :)
    Scope

• anthonyj1
    I will kerp u updated xx tanks everyone for support and info, much apprrciated to all of you
  • anthonyj1
    Sorry 4 spelling mistakes, broke my reading glasses so hope u can decipher my spelling mistakes xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.