recently diagnosed fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

recently diagnosed fibromyalgia

lauren85
lauren85 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi i suffer from degnerative disk disease and arthiritis and have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia i am struggling with flare ups just now as the pain is getting more intense and is now more difficult to manage on a daily basis it has also started to really affect my work and i am in 50/50 mindset as to stop working can anyone give me some advice on how the manage with this or chronic pain and working?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lauren85

There are lots of ways to manage chronic pain. Have you ever heard of a pain management course? Basically the whole point is to help you manage your pain successfully without medication. You can also take up light exercise as well.

These exercises can be done on a chair. They are good for pain. 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/sitting-exercises/

And you have a opportunity to make new friends and find new ways of coping too. Bring a pen so you can take notes and don’t be scared to ask questions either. There will be handouts given out so I strongly advise going with a small handbag.  

Other exercise options include:

Light stretches
    Walking
    Swimming
    Dancing
    Cycling on a exercise bike

Try to stay healthy. This includes good eating habits. Work is good for the mind, so keep absences to a minimum. Discuss flexible working options with your manager. Best wishes! 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/ways-to-manage-chronic-pain/?tabname=body
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

SSP is payable for 28 weeks from your employer with a fit note from your GP. Once this has ended you should get some face to face advice from an agency near you. You should also not just quit your job before getting some advice because if you quit then you could be sanctioned and unable to claim any benefits for up to 26 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lauren85
    Thanks poppy123456 for the advice but it’s not  just a case of fibromyalgia I have other chronic pain conditions on top of this and have already been told by doctors that my job is not suitable but it is very difficult living on an island and trying to find work that fits.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I totally understand because i too have other conditions that prevent me from working. However, you still shouldn't just quit your job because you could potentially be sanctioned from claiming any benefits. If you're struggling to work right now then please look into claiming SSP. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

Also consider speaking to your employer about reasonable adjustments in the workplace. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lauren85 and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you are struggling more with pain, this must be annoying.

What kind of job do you do at the moment?

The only reason I ask, is because it may be possible to have things adapted through reasonable adjustment which could mean you are still able to work.

Here is some information you may find helpful:
    Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• lauren85
    hi thanks for the advice adjustments have been made but i am also waiting to speak to occupational health to see what they can help with.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's okay @lauren85, I'm glad this has been looked into and I really hope an OT is able to support you further.

Please do let us know how it goes and if there is any other guidance you need. :)
    Scope

Brightness