Free nhs treatment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free nhs treatment

kimba10
kimba10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My partner is claiming for pip can he get free prescriptions or dental treatment 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP does not entitle you to free NHS services. If you are on a low income then you might qualify for an HC2 certificate which will. You will need to fill in an HC1 form for assessment
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    People on DLA and PIP are being caught out by claiming free dental treatment by mistake and getting £100 fines.
    This happened to me a few years a go, didn't have to pay it though after emailing them and sorting it all out. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @kimba10 and welcome to the community. :)
    Is your partner in receipt of any other benefits?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Universal Credit and/or any of the benefits it's replaced entitles you - not just PIP or DLA
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Universal Credit doesn't automatically entitle you to free NHS treatment, it will depend on your circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering

If unsure about your entitlement I would pay and then seek reimbursement if you do qualify for NHS  dental treatment .  I recently had dental appointment, assumed I was exempt .ticked the box on the form .One month  later I received  a  NHS  PENALTY CHARGE  £100  plus £62  for dental work .  I then applied  for low cost help , form HC1 ( online )  and have now received a HC2 Certificate exempting me from NHS dental charges . I have applied  for  a  dental  fee refund,  but do not think the penalty charge £100 will be refunded.. I am  now very wary about using my HC2  certificate  in case I have made an error and receive yet another penalty  charge . .I am in receipt of PIP  ,state pension , plus a very small private pension .

• Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    What about opticians? 
  • poppy123456
    Swordfish said:
    What about opticians? 
    For dental, free prescriptions or eye tests, it will depend what means tested benefits you claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dottydotty

Swordfish   The HC2 Certificate  covers  free sight  tests and the full value of a voucher towards the cost of glasses and contact lenses.   To apply you need to fill in a HC1 form for  help with  health costs .

• poppy123456

Swordfish   The HC2 Certificate  covers  free sight  tests and the full value of a voucher towards the cost of glasses and contact lenses.   To apply you need to fill in a HC1 form for  help with  health costs .

If someone claims certain means tested benefits then there's no need to fill out any form because they automatically qualify.
  • dottydotty

poppy123456  Valid point . But do make sure you have ticked  the correct box to say you qualify. There is also a HC3  form that limits the amount you have to pay for NHS  Treatment .  all very confusing but help is out there for people on low incomes.  

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    You also get a free eye test and help towards lenses if you are registered as blind or partially sighted. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.