How to get free support worker hours — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get free support worker hours

cdig
cdig Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I now have to pay for my own support worker 4 hours a week approx £73 per week.   I can't afford it.   Anyone know of financial help or free support.   Thanks 

Comments

• siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    It depends what you need a support worker to support you in. If it's in college you could ask them directly. If it's at uni then student finance via a grant. Work is covered under Access to Work. At home and the community ie social care is adult services via a direct payment after a needs assessment. They will provide the bare minimum of help and may ask for more info such as doctors letters and an occupational therapist may visit with them to assess you. You would probably have to employ the person which means paying NI contributions etc. If you are on benefits you usually have to contribute based on getting any support components. Earnings are not usually taken into account. For example I've recieved direct payments in the past as needed under two seperate council areas. Both times when my only income was wages my contribution was £0.00, but on ESA they calculated my contribution as just under £40 a week. I can't afford it so my partner has been caring for me and claiming carers allowance until recently, but that has drawbacks as well such as being worse off. I think in some cases PAs are covered by the NHS if it's solely for medical need like propping you up in bed or changing dressings etc, but can't remember what that scheme is called. They would usually say most things are a social need. 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    PIP is supposed to be for funding extra costs like this. So if you don't currently get it you could see if you are eligible for that?
    All the best.
    Emma
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cdig   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing financial problems with a support worker.

Please can I say if you have a mental health condition with additional problems or conditions.

You can apply to mental health charities.

They offer floating support or an out reach worker.

I used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Might not be in all areas.

Other options are if you have a condition, illness or disability. Often a charity or organisation relevant to that condition, illness or disability.

They  offer a lot of guidance, advice and information.  Also can help with any support or difficulties you may be experiencing.

Please if I can help further . Please get in touch happy to be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cdig
    Thank you so much for your help and thoughts.  Please can you let me know if there are any charities In liverpool for financial support or free support workers in my area.  Many thanks 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cdig thanks for reply. I would contact the links I have provided that charity.

You have a mental health condition you need to contact them as they will give you some one to talk to.

The other point is to look on line type in your postcode and ask for relevant organisations. 

You have not mentioned these so I would advise that.

You live in Liverpool area should be some organisations regarding mental health or others.

MIND is one also Rethink an advocate charity might be useful.

https://www.rethink.org.

Telephone 0300 500 0927

Please may I add you could ask your Doctor to refer you to anything like I have mentioned the mental health charities.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cdig
    Thanks so much I will definitely try them out. So grateful for your advice 
    Many thanks 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cdig and a warm welcome to the community! How are you getting on?
    Scope

• cdig
    Hiya chloe I've not phoned mind yet. Been up the wall with my dogs litter of 6 puppies. So when I remember its about 7ish.  Thanks again for your advice and thoughts it really matters an helps alot 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @cdig, it certainly sounds like you have been busy! No problem at all, please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• cdig
    Are there free mental health visiting support in the seaforth liverpool area at all. Many thanks for your advice.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @cdig, here is what I found about mental health support and wellbeing in Liverpool. There is also a website that lists support here: https://www.healthwatchliverpool.co.uk/find-services/

I hope you find something that'd be beneficial.
    Scope

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Hi do you claim pip if so is it enhanced pip. 
  • cdig
    This its enhanced for my mental health but I use this for taxis to get to appointments ect as I can't get anywhere by myself..  thank you so much for your advice.  I have to pay £73 per week for my support I get 2 hrs twice a week but its not for my mental health problems. 
    Any suggestions for free support. 
    Many thanks 
    Kind regards 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @charlie79, here is some information about PIP.

I hope the links provided will show you what is available in your local area @cdig. I appreciate how difficult it can be to access support.

Scope

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Hi chloe I was asking as I have enhanced pip, and use it for sometimes when I need support worker to sit with me in my home when apts are needed beyond my support visits with her. That's why I asked. Thankyou for information though. As cdig said she gets pip but uses it for travel and other things to aid. 

Brightness