ESA income related letter I received for my dad (now dead) - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA income related letter I received for my dad (now dead)

Comments

• Tinkerbell44
    Tinkerbell44 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
  • Ciara55
    Ciara55 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Thank you so much!! That’s fantastic at least they are working through them quickly and not making us wait weeks as that just seems like hell to be honest, your situation sounds so much like mine too!! Hopefully they will phone soon they are due to phone today between 9 and 12 and this waiting is playing havoc with my anxiety already it’s bringing back horrible memories and unwanted returning feelings!! I’m so pleased for you!! Some closure is great!! Yes please keep me updated on how it all goes!! I will do the same my end!! Thank you again!!
    G X
    Hi..just letting you know phonecall yesterday and they told me all checks had been done and there has been a BR330 form.sent out for me to fill in and return they said ita for bank details etc they didnt tell me amount due and not really sure what that form.is to be honest but will keep u posted.xx did u get phonecall xx
  • Tinkerbell44
    Thank you for that!! Yes I got the call and done the form via the phone. She said I would receive a letter regarding what’s due and how it has been worked out etc, she did say to me she had my bank details etc as I’m also on universal credits?? So I don’t know what I’m really waiting for now?? Thank you!! Again.
    G xx
  • Tinkerbell44
    Just getting so frustrated with the waiting!! I’m not good in situations like this my pad anxiety disorder is going off the rails!! Xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tinkerbell44, I'm really sorry to hear it has been such a stressful time for you! Please do let us know if we can do anything to help. :)
    Scope

• Tinkerbell44
    Thank you so much. Just let me know if anyone else hears anything at all!! That will give me a bit of clarity xx
  • Tinkerbell44
    Ciara55 said:
    Thank you so much!! That’s fantastic at least they are working through them quickly and not making us wait weeks as that just seems like hell to be honest, your situation sounds so much like mine too!! Hopefully they will phone soon they are due to phone today between 9 and 12 and this waiting is playing havoc with my anxiety already it’s bringing back horrible memories and unwanted returning feelings!! I’m so pleased for you!! Some closure is great!! Yes please keep me updated on how it all goes!! I will do the same my end!! Thank you again!!
    G X
    Hi..just letting you know phonecall yesterday and they told me all checks had been done and there has been a BR330 form.sent out for me to fill in and return they said ita for bank details etc they didnt tell me amount due and not really sure what that form.is to be honest but will keep u posted.xx did u get phonecall xx
    Ciara55 said:
    G X
    Ciara55 said:
    G X

CIARA55: hey hun have you heard any more?? Any news at all?? Let me know how you get on with everything?? I’m still waiting on hearing back from the first phone call it’s causing a lot of stress to say the least?? Xxxx

• Ciara55
    @Tinkerbell44
    Hiya no update since last one really...i received br330 last week and returned it jist waiting on them processing it and releasing payment ..when i called they said should b anyday now...i cant complain really as things have moved reallt quick compared  with some people on here...my 1st phonecall to fill in application was on only 25th september ..hopefully u hear more soon ..i will keep u updated on mine xx
  • Tinkerbell44
    Thank you so much for that!! That’s good I’m so pleased that they are doing something about it but they could be quicker for us deceased cases as it is very stressful!! I’ll hopefully hear something soon!! I’ll let you know when I do!! 
    G xxxx
  • Ciara55
    @Tinkerbell44. Hi wee update they called again told me alls checked n double checked and amount of arrears over £16.000 will be paid into my account in the next 2/3 weeks xx hopefully yours is dealt with as quick  xx
  • Tinkerbell44
    Ciara that is FANTASTIC!!!! I’m so so please for you hun!! So pleased!! Did you expected that much?? I don’t think I’m going to even get 500 quid to be honest.. but I’ll keep you updated!! Xxxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's amazing news @Ciara55! Thank you for letting us know!

Fingers crossed @Tinkerbell44!
    Scope

• Tinkerbell44
    Thank you so much Chloe xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @Tinkerbell44 :)
    Scope

• Ciara55
    @Tinkerbell44 thank you .2bh i had fair idea as the initial letter said investigatingg from july 2013  until aug 2017 when my dad passed away...id called cab tbeyd told.me he shouldve been getting 2 premiums which totalled around £70 a week ...but even though id calculated arount tht amount i expected it to be a lot less so was shocked ....hot call yesterday to say payment has been released and will be in my account in 3 days ...dont think ill really believe it til i see it in bank ....kimda worried at same time tho incase it effects my own benefits as i myself am.on pip and esa ....half expecting my benefit to.stop...who knows ?? Will keep u updated ,xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Ciara55 said:
    .kimda worried at same time tho incase it effects my own benefits as i myself am.on pip and esa ....half expecting my benefit to.stop...who knows ?? Will keep u updated ,xx
    Under normal circumstances backdated money received from an error made by DWP that's more than £5,000 is disregarded for the life of the benefit claim and this is for all means tested benefits.

However, because it's money you're receiving for your late father then i'm unsure about this. PIP isn't means tested so that definitely won't be affected. When you receive the decision letter take a very close look at exactly what it says on there and if it's disregarded, it will tell you and for how long. If it doesn't say anything then you'll need to ring DWP and ask a decision maker the question because only they will be able to tell you the correct answer.

I'll be very surprised if it's not disregarded because after all it was certainly not your fault that your late father was underpaid by such a huge amount of money. Do let us know either way because i'll be very interested in the answer.

I'm glad to hear that the money has finally been released, usually it take 3-5 working days for it to go into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Tinkerbell44, how are you doing?

We have had press request from The Independent who are interested in speaking to someone about ESA being underpaid to a loved one, and then backdated to their next of kin. If you'd like to be involved then please email the community on community@scope.org.uk

If you are not interested then that is no problem at all! Thanks. :)
    Scope

• clucky20
    clucky20 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi all, hope you don’t mind me interfering but I have also just received this letter for a late friend who I was next of kin for and I’m really shocked that dwp have contacted me for it I was the one that did the funeral and registered the death and was present at death as I classed this person as a father. I was just wondering because I was next of kin and he didn’t have any children or partner am i entitled to receive what is Owed to him? I was a little taken back when I first got this letter and I didn’t respond, dwp then contacted me by telephone and asked me to fill In a form over the phone. Which I did I also told them that I was just next of kin and they said for me to still fill the form. I never ever expected this and it as come as a shock as it was so hard to get a funeral for him and I’ve never been able to afford a head stone so I’m sort of hoping that is going to change that and  help towards one if anything comes back out of it, any help would be much appreciated. :)  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    @clucky20 As you are the next of kin, if he's owed any backdated money then yes you will receive it on his behalf.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clucky20
    clucky20 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi thank you for your reply I really appreciate you’re help, I was just a little concerned as I’m not blood related and not sure where I stand with it all. The letter said he may of been owed money from 2011 up till when he past away in 2013 it’s really come as a shock and I’m trying not to think to much of it all but it’s quite hard not to. Do you know  What happens next and how long it takes I’m rather hoping it’s  all over quickly as it’s just made me really sad and brought back sad memories. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.