Difficulties with food preparation and eating — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulties with food preparation and eating

HarryVS
HarryVS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

My name is Harry, I am currently in my final year studying Product Design at DeMontford University in Leicester. For my final project I have been researching the challenges and difficulties with preparing and eating food faced by people with disabilities .

If you can spare a few minutes to answer some questions to give me a better understanding of your experiences, I would really appreciate it.

If you feel comfortable, please provide your age, description of disability and how severely this effects you on a day to day basis.

Questions:

• Can  you  tell  me  any  issues  you  regularly  face  during  food  preparation?

• How  do  you  overcome  these  issues  at  the  moment?

• Give  one  (or more)  examples  of  an  issue   that  if  solved  would  be  helpful  regarding  food  preparation    and   eating?

• Would you be more likely want to cook if the challenges you faced were overcome via product/solution and your reasons why?  

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I look forward to your responses and trying to make a difference.  

Kind regards,
Harry

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I have Grt problems I have use of thumb and next finger rest bent over and can’t use ,I can’t hold pan or open can I can’t use knife fork bathe there isn’t much you can heat or cook with no use of hands .eating in cafe there’s no special utensils I get son cut up sandwich into tiny pieces hope don’t drop them my cup is stuck to table I use straw I can’t peel anything lift pan hold kettle 
  • HarryVS
    HarryVS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for response @Dotty123 I really appreciate your time.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Sorry sorry I’m 63yrs old med build my illness is my little and next two fingers are permantly bent over into my palm hand I can’t cut finger nails have wait till they break esa seem think I can work yet can’t dress eat drink loo big problem can’t carry pick up things if only very painful thank you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HarryVS, I hope your research goes well!
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.