Am i able to claim severe disability premium, joint tenancy agreement - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am i able to claim severe disability premium, joint tenancy agreement

Comments

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @gingerella75. Do you not have an award letter from HB that shows they are paying 50% of the rent on your behalf? That might be enough proof to show that the tenancy is split. 
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • gingerella75
    gingerella75 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Yes I do and they have it and my tenancy agreement. They say it isn’t enough evidence that they want proof of separate payments! My landlord now writing a letter so now it’s the council tax. Direct debit on other tenants account as he pays majority but they will deny me because of that. All other agencies are happy. I have asked for a letter that clearly states we are equally liable for council tax. Set up standing order for the separate payments but it will only stand for a new claim with no back payment. I asked to appeal the decision and the woman on phone said I couldn’t 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    You can appeal any decision and the first step to this is mandatory reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gingerella75
    Yes I know! I am registered with a website that allows you to write to DWP publicly and I have. Tenant is getting a letter to confirm his weekly rent charge which surprise surprise with be the exact same amount as my housing benefit, put both together and they match the tenancy agreement! Maybe I write it in shouty capital letters so they can read it clearly! The other site an advisor said she had dealt with a few and only provided tenancy agreements and council tax bill. I don’t want him here but can’t legally force him to move and my boyfriend stays over at weekends and cooks for me and kids and joint tenant sleeps on mattress on floor in lounge! She said I need to send more paperwork to prove that they have asked for and they will ‘consider’ looking at it again

the woman from DWP telling me I can’t appeal is rubbish! I’ve had 3 tribunals and 5 appeals!  
  • gingerella75
    I haven’t received any letters at all, I have had to call and ask for a callback 
  • poppy123456
    I realise you're angry but shouting in a letter really isn't going to help you here. I'm assuming the tenancy agreement is in both names?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Clarifier
    Clarifier Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi poppy12345

Just joined the community and looking for some clarification

Going back to the original post from lb123 who has a joint tenancy with adult son and is querying eligibility for SDP

I've had a look at the document on the hyperlink you provide to the decision maker's guide 
    DMG Vol 8 Chapter 44

See 44139
    People who are not non-dependants

a close relative who satisfies 7. and the
    8.1 claimant or partners co-ownership or joint liability arose
    8.1.a before 11.4.88 or
    8.1.b if later, on or before the date on which the claimant or partner first occupied the dwelling

Would 8.1.b apply to lb123 ??

Why is it so difficult to find all this information I wonder.

found an easier summary of it here

Hi,

Unfortunately, even though you are both joint tenants you won't qualify for the SDP because he's your son and classed as a close relative. The whole purpose of the SDP is that the person lives alone or classed as living alone. The only way you would qualify in these circumstances is if your son claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living.

This was taken from the above link. The Severe Disability Premium is intended for those severely disabled people who live 
    independently, and who are therefore most likely to need to purchase care. However, it is 
    recognised that there are circumstances when people sharing accommodation should not be 
    expected, or may not be able, to provide care for the disabled person. For this reason, the 
    presence of certain people is ignored when deciding whether or not the disabled person lives 
    alone. This means, for example, that no account is taken of people (other than close relatives 
    of the claimant) who live in the same house because of a commercial arrangement. 

Also this decision makers guide and scroll down from 44111

• poppy123456

Hi,

This is an old thread but to answer your question then no 8.1b will not apply to the son here. The reason is because the son is expected to care for the mother because they are classed as a close relative.

It's not difficult to find the information regarding close relatives and SDP.

Hope this answers your question.

• Clarifier
    Here is a summary of the regulations that may apply:

7. a person or their partner who is not a close relative, except where
    8. applies, who jointly occupies the claimant’s dwelling and who is
    7.1 a co-owner of the dwelling with the claimant or partner or
    7.2 jointly liable with the claimant (or partner) to make payments to the same landlord for the occupation of the dwelling
    8. a close relative who satisfies 7. and the
    8.1.a before 11.4.88 or 8.1.b if later, on or before the date on which the claimant (or partner) first occupied the dwelling

• poppy123456
    Clarifier said:
    Here is a summary of the regulations that may apply:

7. a person or their partner who is not a close relative, except where
    8. applies, who jointly occupies the claimant’s dwelling and who is
    7.1 a co-owner of the dwelling with the claimant or partner or
    7.2 jointly liable with the claimant (or partner) to make payments to the same landlord for the occupation of the dwelling
    8. a close relative who satisfies 7. and the
    8.1.a before 11.4.88 or 8.1.b if later, on or before the date on which the claimant (or partner) first occupied the dwelling

There's 2 different questions by 2 different people in this thread. The original poster who started the thread lives with their son, who's classed as a close relative and therefore not entitled to the SDP.

The 2nd question from a different person (gingerella)  is a totally different question because they live with their ex partner, who is not a close relative, but the decision maker has decided that they were not entitled to the SDP.
  • Clarifier
    It is difficult to find the information as the regulations appear to state:

the close relative is not regarded as a non-dependant in this situation
    The information should have been requested from the claimant on an IS10 form
  • gingerella75
    I’m not angry, just has been like pushing a boulder up a hill with a crippling illness that has you trapped in a body that has no breaks or deformities but raging pain. You crave human touch to feel a bond and supported but that itself causes such hideous pain and a feeling of a bleak future. That doubled with mental illnesses that if meds aren’t right you don’t know you are more ill than usual. But to get the help I’ve had to fight every time and it does leave you in despair. 2 special need teenagers and somebody who occupies your home that legally isn’t in my favour. I didn’t chose it and even letters from gp and my landlord literally spelling it out is not enough. I now have another compliance interview on phone which I don’t care I have completely disclosed everything and had 1 last year. I’ve been told by dwp that my entitlement to single welfare claims has nothing to do with my entitlement to sdp
    as it is not a welfare benefit but to be entitled to it you have to be in receipt of welfare benefits. I know they have to be certain and I welcome that but I even have a decision from the tribunal services saying I am single. That was a horrendous time that 1 year turned into a question of 7 because I would not back down because I knew the truth and so did other agencies. So it’s not a regular situation but I have had to fight more than is fair but there are others in my situation not knowing they can argue the system as there is president for it. I wish I had the energy to get angry but more dissolution ??? 
  • gingerella75
    I apologise, I wasn’t shouty just overwhelmingly tired and frustrated from constant complications every time I ever have to deal with them, the stress caused me to need a medication review, it wasn’t until after that I realised I wasn’t well. I asked for reconciliation, they did a compliance check and they have awarded it. I applied in 

I just don’t understand the esa rate I am on. I am in support main phase, which disability premium would they give me? They have to backdate it to 2013. Would I already have the disability premium? Would the severe be additional.

again sincere apologies, I have had to fight them every time about my disability, I look fine but the more stress I have the more pain. Fibromyalgia is a horrible invisible beast! I looked back on my records and I applied for it in April. 
  • gingerella75
    my disabled son is staying in full time education after he turns 18 he has enhanced pip living. Will this mean my entitlement will end? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @gingerella75. I'm sorry this has caused you so much stress and I can understand why you're so frustrated. 

How much ESA are you currently receiving? We might be able to work out what premiums (if any) you're currently getting if we know the rate. 

As your son has enhanced daily living PIP, this won't change any potential entitlement you have to SDP. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gingerella75
    £256.90 a fortnight. I have pip standard daily living and enhanced mobility. They ordered a compliance check and tbh I found that amusing as I had one last year or exactly the same. they had overwhelmingly proof I was entitled and asked for proof that doesn’t exist so I had council and landlord to write to them telling them it! Works out at ?? worked it out as 263 weeks dating back to 2013! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited October 2019
    Hi @gingerella75.

It sounds as though you're getting just the Enhanced disability premium. 

£111.65 a week support group 
    + £16.80 Enhanced disability premium 
    = £128.45 per week.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • gingerella75
    Yes, so now I have been told I have been awarded the severe premium. When they first declined my claim they said I couldn’t appeal because I had no reason to. I stood my ground and refused. They were deliberately awkward and asked for things that didn’t exist but I stood my ground and had my landlord and council to say they were wrong! Most people would have given up, I want people to know that no matter how odd there situation is don’t be put off! If I can win and mine is very odd they likely can. 

No shouting ? I just want people to know there is hope 
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's great @gingerella75! Well done for standing your ground and I'm glad you were able to fight for what you were entitled to. Thanks so much for sharing with us. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gingerella75
    Your welcome to come back to me for any queries regarding anyone facing the same dilemma as I did. Sometimes when parents split they can’t move out and benefit agencies refuse to see them as single and expect them to continue as a couple, people aren’t told they can challenge them and that it isn’t disallowed like the day it is. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.