Hello from Lancashire — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello from Lancashire

Xmasfairy62
Xmasfairy62 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
New member here. I was retired on Ill Health Grounds in June this year. I had a formal diagnoses of ME/CFS by my GP back in 2018 but have been suffering with the various symptoms for the past 2-3 years. My symptoms have deteriorated to the point I no longer feel safe or confident to drive. I have balance issues so rarely leave the house alone. Some days I am more or less bed-bound with fatigue and pain. It's a very misunderstood and lonely illness. I have had trouble getting some doctors to understand and struggled to get NHS treatment or support in my area. Friends and family have stopped calling or ringing. I feel quite isolated. I was always busy, visiting people, exploring places, shopping and working shift work. I went walking and enjoyed upcycling, cleaning my house and doing the garden. Now, if I manage to wash the dishes its a good day. I have joined the forum for friendship, advice and support 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Xmasfairy62. You're very welcome here on the community. Have you tried Action for M.E. at all? You might be able to find some resources there about getting better support. I can only imagine how it must feel to go from living such an active life to one of isolation. If it helps, many of our members are in similar situations to yours and I'm sure they'll be able to relate.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to support you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Xmasfairy62 and a warm welcome to the community! It's great to have you here. :)

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us and I am sorry to hear you have become isolated. 

We discuss all sorts of different topics, and a list of them can be found here. Also, if you are just up for a natter then why not grab a cuppa and head to the coffee lounge where we chat about various topics and current themes, like awareness days. :)

If there is anything we can do then please just give us a shout! 
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    hello there! Sad to hear you are isolated. Let`s talk! xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Xmasfairy62 I'm pleased to 'meet' you, 'tho very sorry to read about your problems. I'm wondering if you have found some local support.....another resource is the ME Association: https://www.meassociation.org.uk/ They have several support groups in Lancashire: https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2009/09/lancashire/ Sorry if you already know this; just mentioning in case.

It's not much fun when all your get up & go has got up & gone. Do you like reading, or listening to music; watching films or have a hobby? You'll find others talking about these in the coffee lounge Chloe mentioned.

Hope you're having a better day today.....then at least the dishes will be done!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Xmasfairy62 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear of your health struggles and feeling of isolation.  You have come to the right place for support and friendship and there will always be someone on here eager and ready for a chat.  Very friendly and caring people on here so I am sure you will enjoy your time with us and make some new friends along the way.  I have always found it such a supportive and caring space.  We are here for you anytime to give help and support so if you need anything then please just give us a shout.  Looking forward to seeing you on the Community.  All the best.   :)
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness