Should I inform the DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I inform the DWP?

Options
SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all,

I’ve posted on here a number of times over the last 18 months, predominantly regarding being falsely accused of benefits fraud on around 10-12 occasions. Although the DWP have now realised these reports are spurious and are being made maliciously, they have stopped investigating each claim and have said they will take action to identify who is making these claims should any more be made.

These reports have been made by neighbours who, for reasons unbeknownst to me (I personally believe this is because of my disability), have now escalated their ‘campaign’ against me with occurrences such as them congregating outside my home in an attempt to intimidate me, damaging my home, name calling etc. I have also been assaulted by one of these people and my dog was mauled by a neighbours dog leaving him badly injured and requiring Veterinarian help amongst numerous other incidents. Although I have reported these incidents to police, local authorities etc. as these incidents are perpetrated by a number of neighbours, with each of them vouching for the others, police have been unable to take action, advising it is my word against theirs.

Due to this harassment my health has declined substantially, with my being put on more medication and my having to contact my local crisis team almost daily. I also attempted suicide a few months ago owing to me seeing no end to this harassment. My GP has written to the police and local authority to advise of the decline in my health and has stated that it is unlikely I’ll recover whilst in such circumstance but still no action of note has taken place.

Owing to the my health declining, being given more and new medication etc. I am unsure as if I should inform the DWP of the change in my health. I am concerned that if I do, I will be subjected to the reassessment processes and such which have quite a negative effect on my health during the process and whilst waiting for a decision. This would make an already difficult situation worse for me

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SMW83, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through and that your neighbours have been so awful to you! I am not surprised this has had such an impact on your health.

As a member of our community, you’re very important to us. You have shared a very difficult time with us and we are worried that you are having suicidal thoughts, please do continue to access the crisis team when you need to do so.

Or you can of course give the Samaritans a call on 116 123 (free) or if you prefer, email them at jo@samaritans.org

We can share the support link that MIND's information has on handling suicidal feelings which you might find useful to look at.

Of course if you do feel like you might be in immediate danger to yourself, don't hesitate to call 999 or head to your local hospital immediately. 

Unfortunately it would be very difficult for us to say if you should apply for a change of circumstances for PIP as we are unaware about how your disability affects you on a daily basis and the current points that you have. It might be worth getting an appointment with Citizen's Advice or some local advice from AdviceLocal

Please do keep us updated and if you do decide to go ahead with the change of circumstances then I hope we will be able to support you through that.

Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, so sorry to hear how difficult your neighbours are. Have you thought about moving? Or is that just too hard to cope with?
  • SMW83
    SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, so sorry to hear how difficult your neighbours are. Have you thought about moving? Or is that just too hard to cope with?
    Thanks for your reply. Because of my illnesses I had to move into social housing. Even with supplying them with medical evidence, they aren’t presently willing to rehouse me. My local authority is currently bankrupt so that plays into their reluctance to rehouse me and is also the reason I have been waiting to be referred to a social worker for around 8 months!
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    There is a minister for disability hate crime.
    We  need to find out her name.
    Hate crime is on the rise let make sure this  minister does her job 
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Options
    http://www.report-it.org.uk/radar_guidance_disability_hate_crime 

Perhaps some of these leaflets will give you some guidance. 
    I think also your MP should be informed of the situation as they can help with housing aspect especially as your GP is willing to explain the affect it’s having on your health, and the police have been involved.

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.