Bake off contestant Michael tweets about anxiety after tearful episode – The Independent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bake off contestant Michael tweets about anxiety after tearful episode – The Independent

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

The Great British Bake Off contestant Michael Chakraverty has tweeted about anxiety after appearing visibly distressed during the most recent episode’s technical challenge. 

On episode four of this year’s series of Bake Off, which aired on Channel 4 on Tuesday evening, the contestants were tasked with making beignets souffles – deep-fried choux puffs which were popular during the 1920s. 

The challenge required the bakers to fry choux pastry while forming them into ball shapes, a step which Michael struggled to carry out successfully, causing him to become tearful. 

At one point, the 26-year-old looked flustered as he held his head and said: “I can’t. I can’t. It’s too much.” 

On Wednesday, Michael tweeted about experiencing anxiety and how watching the episode made him feel “uncomfortable”.

Bake off contestant Michael tweets about anxiety after tearful episode – The Independent

Scope

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    The power of the media never fails to amaze me...  He might regret putting his full name online, I just searched him on Instagram...many other people must have done the same, he's got 21,500 followers now!  But equally, it's great to see that people, especially young guys, are able to share experiences like that nationally now without the prejudice and stigma that was there even just a few years ago.  

I really relate to Michael as that's the sort of state I get in trying to do anything lol, right from the first week where he managed to cut himself twice in the first 10 minutes...  I must admit, I was also really impressed with Noel's ability to keep him calm and help him focus on what to do next.  I've suffered from various anxiety issues for my whole life but still have no idea how to help anyone else in that situation!

Earlier this year, previous Bake Off winner Nadia made a good documentary on her own experiences of anxiety throughout her life which was really interesting.

Oddly, despite hating food, and not being able to bake anything myself, I do like watching the Bake Off every week! 
    :D
  • Chloe_Scope
    Some very good points @OverlyAnxious! It's great that he has been able to talk about it, and I hope it makes others feel less alone. I too watch it every week and noticed Noel being really supportive. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What the media can do. I’ll have to watch both documentaries- are they on Netflix? A step in the right direction! 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    The Great British Bake Off is on Channel 4 on a Tuesday evening at 8pm, @April2018mom.  I have been recording it and haven't seen the latest episode, but have notice Noel being supportive in a previous episode too.  Love The Bake Off!   :)
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Unfortunately it has dropped off my radar this year! I do usually love it though. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.