Why am i called in for an assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why am i called in for an assessment?

mrbuttons
mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
Hi everyone i hope this is the right setion of the forum for this question apologies if its not.
I have a number of long term health conditionds including fibromyalgia and all the pain and fatigue that goes with it, arthritis, cardio vascular problems and hypertension. also anxiety, depression and PTSD. I am also recovering from a stroke. I had an assessment in my home about 3yrs ago and was awarded esa (support group)and Pip (with the severe mobility /disability component) for an 'ongoing period'. I wasnt expecting an other assessment when i filled in the form about 6 wks ago because my condition  hasnt improved, in fact the pain has worsened. So anyway i have an appt in a town 20 miles away. In 2wks.
Im curious to know why i have to go for the face to face assessment. Could it be that my responses on the form do not match what was on my previous form or were my responses borderline to qualify for benefit? I know nobody can say definitively but i wonder why they didnt just go on what i put on the form.
Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, 

Most people have to attend another face to face assessment during a review. It’s rare to have a paper based assessment. All ESA awards are ongoing but that doesn’t mean you’ll never be reassessed. It just means it’s ongoing for as long as you’re entitled to it. 

Once you’ve had the assessment ring DWP and request a cope of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Your ESA will continue until a decisions been made. 

I assume you sent evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it’s sent to support your claim.

good luck. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrbuttons
    Thanks Poppy123456,
    i havent sent any evidence,didnt know it was necessary. I suppose i should ask my gp for a letter to take with me to the assessment. I was so anxious about completing the form i didnt think to send anything. Good to know that the assessment is pretty routine.
    Thanks again for the info Poppy
  • poppy123456
    No problem. A letter from a GP isn’t the best evidence to send or take because a GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you. They will only know the basics like medication and diagnosis. If you have any other evidence then I’d advise you to take that instead. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    If the appt time or possibly location isn't convenient you can ask them to see if they can change it, but be aware that you can only do this once.
    Most people have a f2f assessment, it has to be said.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    my wife has a f2 f this week ,it is a rearranged appointment because the D.W.P wanted her to travel almost 60 miles despite me telling them that she can’t travel far .....she has many chronic illnesses some going back 30 years or more ,one being N.E.S.S which means she has frequent blackouts ,fibromyalgia and arthritis. I think the sent the original just to see if she could travel that far ,I said if they sent an ambulance for her she could attend .......they make my blood boil ,bunch of twats 
  • mrbuttons
    I must admit that they seem to make things very difficult I spent 90mins on the phone last week trying to to arrange for the assessment to be recorded and trying to find out how Far is the parking spot from the entrance. Apparently there are no blue badge spaces nearby. How can they justify that at the actual assessment centre? This seems unnecessarily awkward and unhelpful to their clients to help expect them to walk to and from a multi storey car park when attending the assessment. Luckily my carer is coming with me I could not even think of going alone.
    What type of evidence would be useful to take?
     I actually think that I am over thinking this but I want to give myself the best chance of a positive outcome. 
  • mrbuttons
    so we went for my assessment and it started off with the recording equipment not being there despite my advance request to have it. the assessor was fine but I was immediately suspicious of how her written record might not be as I said. only time will tell. they focused on my mobility and pain which is fair because of that's my main issue. I am not very optimistic but it is out of my hands now.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @mrbuttons,

Fingers crossed it will be ok!

You can ring in a couple of weeks and request a copy of your assessment. This gives you an idea of the outcome and might put your mind at rest.. You do need to bear in mind that they are not the decision makers though.

Let us know when you have a decision.  :)

Joanne 
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mrbuttons. It must have been frustrating for the recording equipment not to be there despite your advance request. 
    Best of luck with the decision and if you do request the assessment report, let us know if you need any help deciphering it! :)

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrbuttons, I imagine this didn't feel like a very good start! I hope you are feeling okay now. :)
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    edited October 2019
    thanks for the words of support everyone. i am trying to stop myself sinking into self-pity because I don't know the outcome yet. its the thought of losing my Motability car, the ability to afford my lovely carer which i pay for myself and at least 30% of my benefits that terrify me. I am just about coping with living costs and will be housebound and very isolated without my beloved little car. these sound like minor concerns when i think about the problems others are coping with. i am keeping myself occupied with reading my kindle and keeping up with the news.

• poppy123456
    If the assessment is for ESA, as that's where you've posted your question, then you won't lose your mobility car because that's part of PIP not ESA. ESA is the work capability assessment and they assess your ability to do any type of work.
  • mrbuttons
    thanks poppy 123456, thats a massive weight off my mind. i think it was an ESA assessment because i filled in the esa50 form or something like that

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. Sounds like that's what it is. It's the Health assessment advisory service that do work capability assessments.

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    @stephenjohn
    and @mrbuttons

Same problem here.
    They arranged my PIP Renewal assessment in a building that I couldn't reach. 

The nearest drop off point (taxi) was 70 metres away because there is a railing running all along between the side of the road and the building!! 

Emailed our MP and explained they were paying me for walking 20 metres but asking me to walk 70 !!! 

Next thing you know, I received a new appointment in a building with drop off point right outside the front door.! 

Maybe they expect people to climb over the fence?!! 

@mrbuttons
    Good luck with the decision. Fingers crossed for you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope @poppy123456 has been able to put your mind at rest a little @mrbuttons. I appreciate how daunting things like this can be. What book are you reading at the moment? I love reading things on my kindle. :)
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    @poppy123456hi poppy im reading end times by Shane Carrow
     i like apocalyptic stories because they examine how human beings respond to extreme situations. do they bring out our worst or best traits?

• mrbuttons
    paffuto10 said:
    @stephenjohn
    and @mrbuttons

Same problem here.
    They arranged my PIP Renewal assessment in a building that I couldn't reach. 

The nearest drop off point (taxi) was 70 metres away because there is a railing running all along between the side of the road and the building!! 

Emailed our MP and explained they were paying me for walking 20 metres but asking me to walk 70 !!! 

Next thing you know, I received a new appointment in a building with drop off point right outside the front door.! 

Maybe they expect people to climb over the fence?!! 

@mrbuttons
    Good luck with the decision. Fingers crossed for you. 
    they do seem to want to obstruct us as much as possible. i could only walk from the car to the centre by leaning on my carer and stopping every few steps or sitting on the wall.  iam really disgusted at the lack of consideration. i suppose they think if we can walk that distance we are fit for work, despite how much pain it causes.
  • mrbuttons
    good news everyone. my decision letter came today and i have been kept in the support group for ESA,  with the severe disability premium. thank you all for your support and advice when I was in danger of melting down.

to everyone going for your assessment soon please don't just focus on the bad experiences, sometimes we have positive outcomes. don't give up.
  • poppy123456
    mrbuttons said:
    good news everyone. my decision letter came today and i have been kept in the support group for ESA,  with the severe disability premium. thank you all for your support and advice when I was in danger of melting down.

to everyone going for your assessment soon please don't just focus on the bad experiences, sometimes we have positive outcomes. don't give up.
    Great news! Just so that others are aware if they read this the severe disability premium can be paid on all Income Related ESA regardless of which group you're placed into and including assessment rate, providing all other eligibility criteria is met.

Totally agree with not just focusing on the bad experiences. Lots of people are successfully placed into a group without any problems.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.