Vascular dementia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vascular dementia

Options
Benoville
Benoville Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am devastated,Ive just been advised after an mri I have Vascular dementia,am only 60 and don't know what to do,any help out there for me

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Benoville & welcome to the community. First of all we're a friendly lot, & there are always people here willing to chat. You can also look around the forum & join in any discussions you like. You might especially like the 'Coffee Lounge' section where there are usually some interesting conversations going on about books, hobbies, cooking tips....a right old mixture!

Secondly, I'm sure you were shocked with your diagnosis & it may take a while for it all to sink in. I'd leave it a few days but then you might want to look at the Alzheimer's Society web site as they deal with vascular dementia too. See: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ There are links for various types of support.

You see I put them secondly, as we would look forward to seeing you around! Other people here may have other ideas too. Any other questions, please just say.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Benoville and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and can appreciate how upsetting this must be for you.  My dad has Vascular Dementia also and was diagnosed earlier this year so realise what a shock this can be.  You have been given very good information from @chiarieds and I can vouch for Alzheimers UK being a very good support mechanism and would also encourage you to take a look on their website when you feel a bit better about things.  As explained above, the Community is full of lovely people all willing to support you so please feel free to chat to us anytime.  We are always here to listen.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and give us a shout if you need anything.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Benoville. It must be an enormous shock, but we'll of course do whatever we can to help. Please give the link Chiarieds posted a look, but please make sure to stick around and we'll do our best to support you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, @Benoville
    You could have a look at the Wikipedia Vascular Dementia article which explains how Vascular Dementia occurs and how best to work around some of the underlying issues using not too technical terminology, unlike most of the related research.
    Understanding the issues can help in what they discuss as part of a possible prevention process. 
    I hope this helps explain the issues.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Benoville. I imagine this came as a big shock! Please do stay in touch and you are very welcome here. :)
    Scope

Brightness