ESA been underpaid? Journalism request! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA been underpaid? Journalism request!

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2019 in Research and opportunities

*Journalism press request from the Scope team*

We've had a journalist from the Independent who are doing a story about ESA being underpaid, and the claimant passing away before the owed benefits have been backdated. 

Is this something a loved one has experienced? Would you like to talk to the press about your experiences?

If you've got an experience that you'd like to share, then please get in touch with the Scope media team – pressoffice@scope.org.uk or 0207 619 7200.
Scope

Comments

• Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    Hi @Chloe_Scope

I think it is nuts to have a 13 week assessment period before getting any further help for esa.

I had a time while waiting for my benefits to be sorted when I was homeless, I had proof of my disability and was waiting to have diagnosis confirmed and I had nothing. It was very hard. For 13 weeks I was living off of £72 a week and the place I was staying had no inhouse laundry facilities so I had to pay for a taxi to get to a laundrette and extra costs to use the laundrette. Where I was staying also had a service charge that came out of my benefits. I had nothing and I think it is ridiculous to make someone who is sick vulnerable and disabled wait so long to have access to vital funds to survive. I bet there are stories of people passing away during the assessment period because it is so hard.

I found a petition online recently asking for a enquiry into dwp and the relation between their actions and claimants that die/commit suicide. It only had enough signatures for a goverment response which said they had no plans to make an enquiry into this. I think in light of previous cases of this and vulnerability of us this is something which should be under urgent review and have an immediate fair enquiry into both 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Birdsnbees, I cannot imagine how difficult this must have been! I am so sorry you had to go through this. It certainly something that must continue to be highlighted.
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.