Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Btw my counsellor thinks the Wellbeing Service and Social Prescribing are two different things. I'll soon find out when they contact me but I certainly hope shes right!!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope social prescribing is more beneficial for you. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Yes, thank you. I know I need some help from someone, it just seems such a long time coming.
    I'm really glad I've found this forum. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Thank you for mentioning this post. Could be interesting for my self.

One of the big problems is after you leave a service. Usually mental health service or organisations.  They do not want to know or have you back.

Have given you the tools and anything else. Besides with so many it is practical common sense.

In my situation used up all the resources of all the area . I am living in.

Reason moved a lot. Where do members of the community go after a life time of mental health.

Where to now. I cope the best way I can. My many posts on here gives a place to help me.

My other problem is I am aware of my issues and problems can I learn something new can I get the help and support with out any difficulties.

Often meet a lot of staff who see me as a problem sorry to say that and try to bully me or dominate me with there ideals.

I am prepared to listen as I do but it  does not make it easy for me.

I know there are answers. Will discuss this with GP.

Thanks hope your doing OK.

Always happy to contribute.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    I had the Wellbeing Service last winter and they were with me 12 weeks, then my caseworker texted 'times up'. I rang head office coz they had basically done nothing for me but didn't get anywhere.
    So I'm hoping Social Prescribing is better.
    Spice man- have you been with Social Prescribing?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Franstrahan   Pleased to meet you. Thanks very much for asking. No. I am always looking to educate, learn and cope with my issues.

I have used as I mentioned lots of mental health charities.

Stoneham, The Richmond Fellowship. MIND, Talking Changes many Local council services.

Used my wellbeing services as well many times.

Moved five times in to find help and support.

Use a lot of coping methods.

Might be worth a look.

Wish you well yourself it is something you would like to do.

Please if I can be supportive or you need to ask anything. Happy to help.  I am one of the community champions on the forum.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Ok thank you Spiceman
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this @thespiceman!
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for everyone who has contributed to this. Just bumping the post up. :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    No matter which so called support service i have come across the main problem is that thye have no understanding of the complex nature of my disability, and most are even unwilling to begin to learn about the complex nature of my disability. and as all of my family share my disability, this becomes even more stressful. 
    From my experience no support service has yet began by saying something along the lines of " I understand the complex nature of your disability, how are we best able to help"
    so far we have only come across complete ignorance and incompetence even from the so called local medical professionals who should be trained and qualified to assess and diagnose our disability. such is the corrupt nature of UK audiologists, psychologists and speech and language. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @dolfrog, thank you for bring this up. More certainly needs to be done to support those with complex disabilities. Have you any experience of social prescribing? :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    Never heard of it until it was mentioned on here a week ago.
    From my perspective it comes across as another bogus support option just like the incompetent NHS WellBeing service which fails understand the complex nature of many invisible disabilities like mine. 
    So from my perspective it is more BS ignoring my real issues. 
  • Bettahm
    Wellbeing were hopeless with me. Yes I felt they didn't understand my needs. Like they were only able to deal with straightforward issues. So I'm holding out a lot of hope on Social Prescribing.
  • dolfrog
    For me it is very important that I get out into the community. I am lucky that I don't live alone, but with my husband of 47 years. He is my main carer and it is hard going 24/7 when you live with a chronic disability. So getting out gives him respite from me and me a break too.
    @pollyanna1052
    I wish I could go out into the community, but I have to avoid the lack of understand of my communication disability from all others in the community. They fail to understand my communication differences, and the communication problems i may experience, and they only treat me like an idiot. 
    So from my perspective now, the ignorance of my local community and the incompetence of the so called local support is the problem and why I am house bound. If it was not for my wife understanding our disability I would not be here.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @dolfrog, sorry you feel this way, it won't suit everyone and that's okay!

I hope you find out more soon @Franstrahan. :)
    Scope

• dolfrog
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have noticed that KateJopling has not replied to any of the posts on her so called Guest Blog, which comes maccrosss a pure marketing of a product rather then explaining a support option. 
    You should delete such marketing
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @dolfrog, Kate was a guest poster for us and therefore needed to create an account. It is quite possible that she has not been on again as her post is now live. I do appreciate your concerns and understand it must be frustrating if you have taken the time to write these responses.
    Scope

• lsapiecha
    lsapiecha Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hello im new and have no idea on how to post so i came on to this msg Sorry
  • thespiceman
    Hello @lsapiecha   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining, that is fine.

Please do not apologise.  I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please if I can suggest go to Our Welcomes and Introductions webpage.  You will see a post on Community Guide and house rules.

These are guides on how to post.  What you need to do .

Please if you have any problems please get in touch happy to help. Be supportive.

Anything you wished to know.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Welcome to the community @lsapiecha! Great to have you here! Is there anything particular we can help with?

Here is a list of our most recent discussions and here is a list of all the topics that we cover on the community. I hope this helps you navigate around. :)
    Scope

Brightness