From benefits to working 16 hour a week — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From benefits to working 16 hour a week

Options
loucie
loucie Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited October 2019 in Work and employment
im in receipt of universal credit. Im also going to fill out a pip form because of chronic fatigue syndrome. I may have a job working 16 hours a week but I don't know where I stand with Universal credit. Can I still claim pip if I'm working? Universal credit has been a nightmare!! I worked from 1st September to 17th September . I gave up because of sickness. I then on 19th filled out universal credit form, they worked out my amount to live on. I was horrified to see after waiting 5 weeks that I'm only going to receive £200 fir the month, thus includes me having to pay my housing as well. I received £579 from my job from 1st September to 17th September. But I didn't receive this money until 11th October and because of this universal credit take that payment into consideration. I am absolutely outraged by this. Its so frustrating & worrying that you have to work even if your sick because it's very difficult to live on universal credit. Sorry for the rant! Do you have any advice or suggestions about 16 hours a week & universal credit payments? Thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Good morning @loucie.
    PIP isn't means-tested so you can claim PIP and work any number of hours. Some people work full-time and still claim PIP. It's important to know that PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect you rather than what your diagnosis is.

With regards to Universal Credit, have you reported having a health condition to them and have you undergone a work capability assessment? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • loucie
    loucie Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have given my work coach a sick certificate, so they are aware I'm sick at the moment. They are aware of chronic fatigue syndrome. I haven't undergone a work capability assessment. What is this? 
    I have been offered work for 16 hours a week. It's in a phamacy , as a phamacy assistant. I'm apprehensive about it but at the same time I can't live on benefits. Where do I stand with working 16 hours, as I don't know how I will get on? Thank you
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @loucie,

Unfortunately Universal Credit looks at income when it is received and not at when it was earned. This is something that is being challenged by various welfare rights groups as it leads to situations such as the one you find yourself in.

You can work and claim Universal Credit but your income will be taken into account. You may be able to disregard some of your earnings if you qualify for a "work allowance". This applies if you are responsible for one or more children or you have been assessed as having limited capability for work.

If neither of these apply then your UC will be reduced at 63p for every £1 that you earn.

Hopefully your UC payment will increase in your next assessment period when your income reduces.

Joanne 
    Scope

Brightness