Late diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Late diagnosis

Options
Aspiemike
Aspiemike Community member Posts: 35 Connected
edited October 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
I was nearly 60 when diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome and am so proud to be different, I feel relieved to now know who I am and live my life to the full and not pretending to be someone else. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Aspiemike & welcome to this community.

I don't know what it's like to have Asperger's Syndrome, but our son was described as 'next door to this' when he was about 19 years old. He said the psychologist described him perfectly, & he'd lost faith with the many other Drs. we'd met trying to get other diagnoses confirmed. He also felt relieved to eventually meet a Dr. that understood him.

Yes, be proud to be different; getting a diagnosis I feel often gives validation. We're all different thank goodness; that just adds to the diversity of mankind, often enriching it.

• Aspiemike
    Options
    I struggle daily now I'm me at last, my family are  now more understanding I suffer with depression and anxiety tinnitus in  both ears, arthritis in my neck back pain. I take a dozen pills a day just to function but still get horrible headaches and feeling s of worthlessness and if my wife wasn't here to keep an eye out for me I would not manage she is my rock. I am going to recomit to christ as I was a staunch Christian as was my wife but we fell due to my struggle with my identity and being unable to fit in with society. But now I need christ back in my life and I believe that my wife does too. God will not let us go but its our choice. 

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you contacted the National Autism Society or not? And yes a diagnosis is life altering. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Aspiemike and a warm welcome to the community! How are you today?

It's great to hear that receiving a diagnosis has had such a positive affect on you. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Aspiemike
    Options
    Yes I am going on a post diagnostic course in November 5 2.5 hour sessions so looking forward to that 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Aspiemike and a warm welcome to the community! It's great that you have been able to access support, the course sounds like it'd be really interesting! I hope you find it beneficial. :)
    Scope

• Aspiemike
    Options
    Yes hopefully meet like minded people 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I hope you do. :)
    Scope

• DAVID55
    DAVID55 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    I was also very relieved after my diagnosis. I knew there was something different with me from the age of 15 (now 55) thought I was going mad most of my life and had been mis diagnosed with depression & anxiety when really it was my Aspergers causing me so many issues. Now I just accept my differences ?
  • Aspiemike
    Options
    I heard on the radio today that autistic adults are  being sectioned under the mental health act and locked in cells with no outside contact and fed through the door like animals, listen to today's jerremy vine show on radio 2 on the podcasts. I had only just come in from my first post diagnostic course it is tear jerking. I cannot believe people are being treated like this today 
  • Aspiemike
    Options
    Listen to this show I think it's the second subject 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009szk
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Aspiemike, thank you for sharing this with us - how awful!!

When in November is your course? :)
    Scope

• Aspiemike
    Options
    Done my second day of my course today 3more to go
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    That's amazing @Aspiemike! How have you found them?
    Scope

• Aspiemike
    Options
    The course was ok timed and only 3 of us just ok 
  • Abi_E
    Abi_E Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I know its an old topic, but most of the resources on when Autism/ Aspbergers gets diagnosed say kids get diagnosed at about 2-3 years old. Pah! maybe the case sometimes, but most of the people I know found out after at least 10 years
  • cjbraiden
    cjbraiden Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    I had a late diagnosis. I'm just 56, birthday in December. I was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder, last year at the age of 54. I have my very strong hobbies, Electronics, Embedded software programming and Amateur Radio. Also do Art, music and poetry. I am pretty much a loner, with few friends. I shy away from social gatherings, always found them too stressful, much prefer my own company. There are days I do get lonely but it passes. I was with my x wife for 18 years, we have a beautiful daughter, she is 19. They moved out of the area to the other side of the country, I don't get to see them hardly at all.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't get to see much of your daughter @cjbraiden. Are you able to stay in touch with her in other ways such as on the phone?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness