Lies that get told by health care proffessional at assessment that are beleived — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lies that get told by health care proffessional at assessment that are beleived

CL1
CL1 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Recently had assessment,which was inaccurate,lies told by hcp,distorted facts,and downplayed,illnesses wich include astma,copd,epilepsy(grand mal)ischeamic heart disease(diagnosed after heart attack at age 45)now 51,mental health problems,anxiety,connective tissue disease(which is in both shoulders but mainly left and is really painful unable to move left arm up without bad pain)and has been placed in the work related activity group,after being in the support group for years,even after a supposed mandatory reconsideration,i will appeal but im at the end of my tether with these people,the hcp is being beleived

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    sadly we see a lot of this and Scope advisers say telling the assessors and reporting them does our claims no good.
    If you`ve got your report, follow each one and give an example of what happened when you tried to do that activity.

You are going to take it to tribunal, aren't you?

They often..... 70% ish...get turned around in your favour.
    Listing diagnoses doesn't help.....saying HOW they affect you does

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    welcome to the forum and good look at the MR, or Tribunal if that part fails
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need to explain how your conditions affect you with as much detail as possible. I know the lies/contradictions in the report are very upsetting but arguing with that will not get you back into the Support Group. Take a look at the support group descriptors here https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

Once you've taken a look then you can see for yourself which one may apply to you. The Support Group descriptors are very specific and none may apply to you. What may apply to you is regulation 35 which is the main route into the support group for a lot of people. This is explained here, you'll need to scroll quite far down the link to find it. https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/resources/article/making-exception

When requesting the MR you need to concentrate on why you think you should be in the support group. Remember it's about the work you can do, rather that the work you can't do and this is what DWP and the Tribunal will be looking at.

Only 18% of MR decisions change so it's very likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    They permanently lie I got took off sg and told I can work with no hands asthma diabetes there not suitable peaple for the job good luck 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    They permanently lie I got took off sg and told I can work with no hands asthma diabetes there not suitable peaple for the job good luck 
    That's not exactly true, although yes a lot of people receive bad reports. Alot of people are also placed successfully into the support group without any problems at all and lots of people receive good reports, we just rarely hear the good stories.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello everyone, to many people, claiments think that because they have an illness, diagnosis they automatically are eligible for ESA SG or PIP, without looking at the descriptiors for each benefit and how the descriptiors impact on their lives in the daily living activities and mobility or the workplace situation. Then when they get the assessment report they start to complain that the HP lied, never took note of their health problems, ect. The HPs are there to avaluate your abilities to preform the descriptiors for each benefit in a safe, repeatable and timely manner. There are more successful awards that don't make the good news stories only the bad ones. 
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    not saying i agree or disagree tbh, but on the part of HP, funny how the tribunals don't agree and % wise over turn 70% of those same HP's, so something wrong, maybe it's the name, as HP stands for many things, but professionals isn't one of them, as if the over turn rate was 10% i'd agree in the name, but it isn't, so professional there not, that is for sure,...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @CL1, great to have you here. How are you doing today? If there is anything else we can help with or you want further clarification then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Looks like both poppy 123456 and I hit a raw nerve with our comments on this subject, marking them as spam?? Sometimes the truth has to be told and some people don’t like it.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    wilko said:
    Looks like both poppy 123456 and I hit a raw nerve with our comments on this subject, marking them as spam?? Sometimes the truth has to be told and some people don’t like it.
    The problem is that you do not want to help those who have disabilities that you do not want to understand, it could be called disability discrimination. 

• poppy123456

That's not exactly true, although yes a lot of people receive bad reports. Alot of people are also placed successfully into the support group without any problems at all and lots of people receive good reports, we just rarely hear the good stories.
    I'm quoting my own comment again here because i'm not sure why it's been flagged. I really don't see anything bad in the comment i made, just speaking the truth. There are a lot of people who are successfully placed into one of the groups end of story.

If you don't like my comments then the ignore feature works very well, just add me to your ignore list and this way you won't see my truthful comments. The advice i give is always honest and truthful. :)
  • poppy123456
    dolfrog said:
    wilko said:
    The problem is that you do not want to help those who have disabilities that you do not want to understand, it could be called disability discrimination. 

@dolfrog may i ask why you think that wilko is discriminating people here? I certainly don't see anything of the sort here.

Again, i'd advise you to use the ignore feature if you don't like the comments that are being made.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @CL1   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear what has happened.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise on new members who join.

Please if I can suggest with any benefits whether form filling in or an assessment. Please get some support or help or advice.

You mentioned your mental health.  I used Mental Health charities . Get floating support or an outreach worker.  Will help you with any benefit problems and also attendance at any interviews assessments.

Advice on your wellbeing and anything else you are coping with.

Do take clientele with additional disabilities or problems . As well as Mental health .

Used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Might not be in all areas sorry to say this.

You could use  this one if not in your area.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

You could speak to CAB for any further consultation.  Good with advice, guidance form filling in.

If your not happy with any report complain to your local MP. Many members have done this successfully.

Please if I can help with anything. Additional support, organisations or associations connected with any of your conditions or illness please get in touch.

Be happy to be supportive. Do have compassion and the empathy.

Pleasure to meet you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @dolfrog   Please can I say we do want to help you and we do understand.

We have the compassion, the time the energy the empathy and am here every day.

I have and do offer a lot to those members struggling have care and concern.

I have tried to be supportive offer a lot of information and advice, guidance.  To those who could be beneficial to their wellbeing.

I am an old fashioned gentleman a Christian do have sensitivity to every ones needs, problems and issues.

I have walked a mile in my shoes of those who had the problems and difficulties, the hardship.

This is what I bring to the forum.  I am proud of what I do and enjoy my time helping the community.

I do get emotive if I can not help the member concerned who very much is not listening or wanting to know anything I am sending to them.

Do have a heart.

I hope you understand that.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
  • dolfrog
    edited November 2019
    Hello @dolfrog   Please can I say we do want to help you and we do understand.

We have the compassion, the time the energy the empathy and am here every day.

I have and do offer a lot to those members struggling have care and concern.

I have tried to be supportive offer a lot of information and advice, guidance.  To those who could be beneficial to their wellbeing.

I am an old fashioned gentleman a Christian do have sensitivity to every ones needs, problems and issues.

I have walked a mile in my shoes of those who had the problems and difficulties, the hardship.

This is what I bring to the forum.  I am proud of what I do and enjoy my time helping the community.

I do get emotive if I can not help the member concerned who very much is not listening or wanting to know anything I am sending to them.

Do have a heart.

I hope you understand that.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Hi @thespiceman
    I have a complex communication disability, which is not easy to explain, I have had it all of my life, as it is a genetic issue. i always knew I was different and experiences bullying and other discrimination from a very young age in the education system and in the workplace. Although my father had the same issues, due to social stigma they were related to a head injury he experienced during world War 2, even though his younger brother my uncle also had similar issues.
     It was only when trying to help advocate for our children back in the late 1990s that recent research here in the UK was beginning investigating the the condition I have been living with all of my life. 
    when I was eventual assessed and diagnosed I was described as a "Worst Case Scenario" but after the diagnosis i understood the nature of my limitations and more importantly the alternative compensating skills and abilities I may be best able to use to work around my limitations. running coping strategies in the working memory can be very tiring and exhausting, and may not be possible when experiencing stress and anxiety.
    I have problems processing unfamiliar words in both speech and the written word, and unfamiliar language structures which can include forms and documentation created and used by others. Which is why our family need help from say the CAB to fill in benefit forms and or job application forms etc.
    So when others continually use which for me is unfamiliar terminology , for me it is a form of discrimination as they are not using alternative ways to explain what they are trying to say, they continue to use terminology I do not fully understand, and they do not use alternative ways to explain things in a way that I may better understand.  
    There is a great deal more to my disability but those are the main issues here. 

• thespiceman
    Hello @dolfrog   Please can I just say I do know all of this. I am aware of your disability .

Did you know I am the same . Have a genetic condition effects hearing, hands, feet, eyesight and much more.

Every time I have a diagnosis find some thing new.

Recently went to Dentist found teeth growing in the roof of my mouth. See am I concerned am I worried just get on with my life.

When some one like a Parent hides your true disability.  After twenty years ongoing.  The reality sets in. What is this what have I got.

Thalidomide something else. Imagine your going to Court to find out because your family are hiding the truth.

Think of this.  Your in one corner .There in another .  No speaking and the one Parent trying to sue me in Court for slander and everything. 

Understand this not easy to deal with. Isolated family do not want to know. Yet they could be effected and my Mother far as I know has not told them.

Found out and now be able to deal with every thing, not before being an alcoholic due to. Sorted that out but left with mental health.

Also do have problems very much communicating struggling to hear those. Can not wear hearing aids due to ears not being able to fit aids, small ones.

Uncomfortable. Recently after addiction made it worse.  My hearing loss.

Have subtitles on Tv have Radio on and music losing that to hear as I getting older.

All is a pain every day . 

Yet I cope, deal with my issues and use my knowledge my own history to help others.

Just thought mention this.

I am always trying to be supportive of every one. Get disappointed from those who wish to be critical of those trying to be kind, have sensitivity and use their time to be helping.

One other point may I add. There are others on this community who have worse than you and me with communication problems. Yes there are. There amazing, wonderful members of our community do a lot for the forum.

They are like me move on and cope brilliantly as they would.

Wish you well.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • dolfrog
    Hi @thespiceman
    I am aware that many others can have many more issues and more severe communication problems then me. And that they may all have their own various ways of working around their limitations which all need to understand. I spent sometime some years ago helping to edit, providing the supporting research, some invisible disability related Wikipedia articles

Sorry to about your hearing loss, which can be a real problem, especially if you are not best able to use hearing aids,

I have perfect hearing my problem is my brain having problems processing, understanding , and remembering the sounds that my ears hear. And this causes further problems with any form of notation of sound based communication such as the written word, which explains my dyslexia symptom.

So this  is more about how can we best provide support and help for those who have the various types of communication disabilities.

How best to provide information especially when trying to explain more complicated information, especially when trying to help explain the nature of their disabilities and how them may best able to work around their personal limitations to others.
    The problem tends to be that the so called others do not want to know about our differences, our different limitations, and more importantly our different ways of working around the limitations our various types of disability may impose. 

So for me and many others who may share mine and other communication disabilities require others who try to explain complex information, such as Benefit Forms, thye need to explain the various issues in various different ways so that others are best able to understand these complex issues using the communication skills that they are best able to use to work around their communication limitations. Some use the exact same complex explanations using unfamiliar terminology and do not bother to try to explain the issues using language that those who have a communication disability will be better able to understand, So from reading some of the so called advice posts from some, they could be copying and pasting the same complex explanation each time which many of us fail to fully understand..They never attempt to explaln complex issues in lay terms so that we can all understand what they are trying to say.  

As you say I am only one example and many others have worse communication problems than me, so the question then becomes "if i have problems understanding these issues, how do those who have more severe problems even begin to understand these issues and explanations. 
    As I mentioned above I was a Wikipedia editor, and as such you get a Wikipedia User page, on my user page I have listed research paper collections related to a range of invisible disabilities including various types of hearing loss which you may find of some interest My Wikipedia User page Invisible disability sub section

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Could I please remind members not to use the 'flag as spam' reporting function for posts they don't agree with. Its primary function is to report spam posts. If you're concerned about a post or poster you can email the community team on community@scope.org.uk or if a post contains content you feel breaches our community guidelines, please use the 'flag and report' rather than 'flag as spam'. 

@dolfrog, I'm really sorry you feel discriminated against. If you (or anyone) ever asks for advice and don't understand the response, I hope you feel like you can say so. I'm sure all of us will be willing to try and explain it differently. Sadly, the benefits system is complex and can be very difficult to explain. 

@CL1, I'm sorry to hear your recent reassessment and MR weren't successful and you feel that the assessors report wasn't accurate. Have you submitted your appeal? 

Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.