Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    dolfrog said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have noticed that KateJopling has not replied to any of the posts on her so called Guest Blog, which comes maccrosss a pure marketing of a product rather then explaining a support option. 
    You should delete such marketing

Hi Dolfrog, I read many of your comments and understand how frustrating life is for you. I get this as I have been wrongly diagnosed twice and undiagnosed for many years. With rare disabilities, it is hard to find support groups. Might be a daft question but have you thought of starting one for your condition? There is a support group for rare diseases, which I expect you already know about.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    dolfrog said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have noticed that KateJopling has not replied to any of the posts on her so called Guest Blog, which comes maccrosss a pure marketing of a product rather then explaining a support option. 
    You should delete such marketing

Hi Dolfrog, I read many of your comments and understand how frustrating life is for you. I get this as I have been wrongly diagnosed twice and undiagnosed for many years. With rare disabilities, it is hard to find support groups. Might be a daft question but have you thought of starting one for your condition? There is a support group for rare diseases, which I expect you already know about.
    Hi @pollyanna1052  
    back in 2002 -2003 I set up the UK support group for my disability at the request of the UK Medical Research council  so that they could get government funding for a 5 year research program, they got their funding in 2004 vfor a 5 year research program. I helped run APDUK to explain and support those diagnosed as having APD. I even helped run a telephone help line, which still gets the odd call, even though APDUK was wound up in 2014. 
    I know many of the researchers and leading clinical consultants personally, as we met on various occasions while the research was being carried out and my family were assessed over the years. 
    I do have a Facebook Support group which currently has over 14,000 members (mainly parents of children who have APD in the USA) 

To be quite honest I am fed up with having to explain what my disability is, especially to the so called medical professionals who should be trained and qualified to understand, assess, diagnose, explain the complex nature of our disability.
    I just want to be understood by others so that I can just be me and my family to be able to be themselves. 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lsapiecha and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.  If there is anything you need help/support with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Jbes9
    Jbes9 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, I am a social prescriber in South Wales. I love my work and see many benefits for the people I work with.  I’d like to know if Scope has services in my area ‘Neath Port Talbot and Upper valleys’ that myself and a colleague can refer to? 
    Many thanks
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Jbes9 and great to have you here. Here's a list of all the services that we have. Some offer online support, like the community, so can cover any area.
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Are there any activities for disabled children? I have not been able to find much. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope aren't offering specific activities for disabled children @April2018mom but you should have a look at what is offered in your area. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pollyanna1052

Well done on the marvellous support group you started. It is  a shame it had to be wound up. I know just what you mean about having to explain your condition. It`s a pain. So may health professionals have never heard of HSP either.
  • Panda70
    Panda70 Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    I've seen form for social prescribing in my gp surgery but when I asked about it they didn't tell me anything, I'm new to my area and because I don't get out much I'm feeling increasingly lost n trapped, thank god for support sites x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Panda70 said:
    I've seen form for social prescribing in my gp surgery but when I asked about it they didn't tell me anything, I'm new to my area and because I don't get out much I'm feeling increasingly lost n trapped, thank god for support sites x
    What is your favorite hobby? Do you love art? 
  • pollyanna1052
    Panda70 said:

Did you pick a form up? Does it have any useful info?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear you are feeling trapped @Panda70. How would you feel booking an appointment and asking about social prescribing. If it's something they offer in your area it could be helpful. Please do let us know how you get on!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Anybody know how long it takes the Social Prescribing people to get in touch after you have been referred? It was just over two weeks ago I think, that my counsellor did the referral.
    I know theres waiting lists and all, but just want a general idea as I'm anxious for something to happen, other then just waiting.
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i maybe the odd one out here, as it sounds great, but tbh i've already mentioned it to someone who is working for it, and told them, it will help them more than it helps the ones who it's meant to help, the NHS already has far too many people doing little, but costing much, how about listen to those in need, instead of just spending more money and wasting it, without asking those who it's meant to help
  • Bettahm
    Think I will ring my counsellor tomorrow and find out what's going on. Thought at least a letter or email acknowledging my referral would have arrived by now. Even if there is a waiting list.
  • pollyanna1052
    Think I will ring my counsellor tomorrow and find out what's going on. Thought at least a letter or email acknowledging my referral would have arrived by now. Even if there is a waiting list.

Yes, I think that`s a good idea. x
  • Bettahm
    Pollyanna, thanks yes. At the back of my mind is the thought my counsellor might have forgotten to do the referral. I know they are extremely busy people. She kept calling me Faye instead of Fran at our last Skype which I think maybe shows the pressure on them.
  • Bettahm
    I just hope too that she didn't mix me up with someone else. Couple of other things she mentioned I just remembered haven't happened.
    Yes I'll ring them in the morning.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, this sounds like a good idea. I hope you can figure out what is going on. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    I've left a message as they are not answering their phones. I know they are extremely busy by the waiting list I was on for counselling, but hopefully they'll get back soon.
    Is there a long wait for Social Prescribing do you know?

Brightness