lcwra backdated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lcwra backdated

marie222
marie222 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello, i gave in my 1st fit note in June 2018 but only received the questionnaire in April 2019 I then attended the assessment in July 2019 and i was granted lcwra on 15th august and was told they would write to me again within 7 working days to tell me about what backdated pay I would get and when, I didn't hear anything so I asked in my journal when I would be told and was just told it will be sorted and given in my September payment but I've still had no letter and I've had my statement today and its still not showing on it.

anyone suggest any help before i contact them again as i just feel like the person who answers my questions is very unhelpful and just fobs me off.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I would advise you to ring UC and speak to your case manager. Putting notes on your journal doesn't always get the response you need, if they ever bother to reply that is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @marie222. How are you getting on? Have you managed to get this sorted? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • marie222
    hi Adrian_Scope I've not been on as I've not been feeling well but ive got some advice and so i will ring them this week and find out what is happening
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @marie222. I'm sorry you've not been feeling well and I hope you're feeling a little better. Best of luck and please let me know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • phoeiblaze
    phoeiblaze Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    @marie222

They start back payment on the 4th month from your claim. Example: you made claim in February so timeline goes as follows: . 

Month 1. February to March
    Month 2.  March to April
    Month 3. April to May
    Month 4. May to June (backdate starts)

You won’t get a letter stating what your back payment is. They don’t do that even though letter award letter says it. Calculate the time you are owed back payment as you haven’t said when you made the claim. 

If after calculating, and you are still short, ring them as they may have missed a payment. They did miss one of mines (first payment as system didn’t factor it in) and I called them and the lady I spoke to checked it, saw it was missing and promised to get in in my bank account in a few hours. It was sent an hour later with a note in my UC journal saying it as well. 

• poppy123456
    @phoeiblaze again, this is not correct. The first fit note was sent in June 2018, which mean the waiting period starts from here, when the LCWRA is paid from will depend on when the assessment periods are. It's paid from the 4th complete assessment period.

You don't count back 3 months from when the fit note was sent. You count forward.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • phoeiblaze
    @poppy123456 please reread my posting. I don't think you are understanding it.

4 months from date of claim means 4 months after date of claim.

Example....4 months FROM today is February 8th. 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    @poppy123456 please reread my posting. I don't think you are understanding it.

4 months from date of claim means 4 months after date of claim.

Example....4 months FROM today is February 8th. 
    my mistake, i see now that it was an example, sorry about that.
  • marie222
    Hello,
    Sorry its been a while since my last post but just to update you what has been going on. i waited until my October payment to see what I received and to see if the LCWRA had been added to my statement which it finally had been but then that got me thinking that it had only been awarded from June 2019 instead of 2018 as that's when i started to send fit notes in, I have not received any back payment either so I contacted them and asked what start date they had and it was as I thought June 2019 and so I wrote in my journal to ask them to look at my account to see why they had put 2019 and the reply I got was you don't need to supply fit notes anymore.
    I then asked 5 or 6 more questions and the responses I got were nothing to do with the questions asked and so the day after I sent another message hoping to get someone different but now no one is replying to me I think they just choose went they want to reply.
    I have now been to cab and they are gonna help me as UC have said I need to do a mandatory reconsideration for them to look at the decision even though this is their mistake and so more hassle appealing this decision even though they can clearly see in my journal that i started to send the fit notes last June 2018 and also the person I saw at cab told me that they will only backdate to when I had my assessment but I thought it was when you first handed a fit note in? could someone clarify that for me.
    Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Who advised you to request the MR for this? Was it your case manager or someone else?

Did you ring and speak to your case manager as previously advised?  If you didn't then you need to do this rather than put a message on your journal. When you're claiming LCWRA then they don't often look at messages, ringing is always better. I'd advice you to ring first thing tomorrow morning.

The LCWRA element is not paid from the date of the decision and will not be back dated as far as June 2018 because as previously advised there's a 3 month waiting period and your LCWRA is backdated from the 4th full assessment period after you sent in your first fit note. This means that it should be backdated to October 2018.

Just as an after thought may i ask when did you actually first claim UC? Was it June or before this?
  • marie222
    Hi Poppy
    It was the advisor that wrote back to me on my journal, I haven't rang as I can't speak on the phone it is part of the condition I suffer and I'm already feeling bad enough, do you know if I can get someone to speak on my behalf?

I thought it was from the 4th period after I handed my fit note in but the person I saw at cab was certain it was from the assessment but ill tell them when I go back this week, and it was also June when I put my UC claim in.
  • phoeiblaze
    edited November 2019
    @marie222 here is what happened to me and what UC/job centre verified....as I tried to explain before, it's from the claim, not just the sick note.  You can submit sick notes for a year and be on basic UC but until you have a work capability assessment claim made, they wont do any back dating.  

I was on sick notes for over 2 years and getting UC. I had the Work capability claim made in Feb (questionnaire) and had f2f assessment in June. I was granted LCWRA and wasn't backdated until the fourth month AFTER the claim was made, so backdated started in June. When I got my payment in July, it included a back date payment for June (1 month of backdate)  

• phoeiblaze
    This is probably what CAB is trying to explain to you.....its 4th month after your work capabilities claim, not just sick notes. If it was sick notes, we'd be rolling in cash lol 
  • poppy123456
    @marie222 here is what happened to me and what UC/job centre verified....as I tried to explain before, it's from the claim, not just the sick note.  You can submit sick notes for a year and be on basic UC but until you have a work capability assessment claim made, they wont do any back dating.  

I was on sick notes for over 2 years and getting UC. I had the Work capability claim made in Feb (questionnaire) and had f2f assessment in June. I was granted LCWRA and wasn't backdated until the fourth month AFTER the claim was made, so backdated started in June. When I got my payment in July, it included a back date payment for June (1 month of backdate)  

This is not correct. If the decision on the work capability assessment takes longer than the 3 month waiting period and then you're awarded LCWRA, it's backdated to the date you sent your first fit note.
  • phoeiblaze
    edited November 2019
    It's the 4th month from when the claim was made. I forgot to mention I was awarded in beginning of July. The f2f can be months later and they still backdate from the fourth month of the claim being made. She would still be sending in sick notes during this time frame until they tell her not to. I made friends with other people who have had the same experience and like I said, got it verified with UC advisor and job center.

@marie222 did you receive back payment and if so how many months.  I calculated what you should or should not be getting based off what you have written. If it is what I have come up with, if you'd like I can break it down for you. I know me and poppy going back and forth may be a bit confusing but I'm giving advice based on my own experience this year which seems to be the norm for others who I have spoken to as well with same issue.

Oh...Another reason why I say it's not based on just sick notes is because of my experience on my sick note time frame....I didnt do monthly sick  notes....my sick notes were 3 months long. When I made my claim, it wasnt time to submit a sick note note as I already had an active one going. 
  • marie222
    Someone else has since looked at my claim and admitted what i was told was wrong and they got the date wrong so they have now amended it and I don't need to do the MR which I'm thankful for as it was all getting on top of me. 
    They have backdated to the 4th month after I claimed in 2018, its taken a while but just glad its all sorted now and thank you to everyone for your help and advice.
  • phoeiblaze
    edited November 2019
    marie222 said:
    Someone else has since looked at my claim and admitted what i was told was wrong and they got the date wrong so they have now amended it and I don't need to do the MR which I'm thankful for as it was all getting on top of me. 
    They have backdated to the 4th month after I claimed in 2018, its taken a while but just glad its all sorted now and thank you to everyone for your help and advice.
    Thats great to read!!! If only some of us was that lucky  ?Hopefully they dont take too long with your back payments! lol
  • poppy123456
    Glad it's finally sorted.
  • Adrian_Scope
    That's great @marie222! I'm sorry it took so long to get sorted but it's great they've finally corrected the issue. Thank you for updating us.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.