Moving & Benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving & Benefits?

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all,

I may have the opportunity to move into a flat that better meets my needs...it's only 100 yards away, same address, just a different flat number.

What impact will this have on ESA, Housing Benefit/Council Tax reduction, and the PIP tribunal that I'm currently awaiting?  Is it as simple as updating the address online or will there be other issues/reassessments needed?

Also, what's the best way to find someone who can move a few heavy items down and up stairs?  There's probably only 4 or 5 items (fridge/freezer and washer/dryer are the main ones!) so not really a job for a removals company.  I'm also a perfectionist and would hate to have things damaged as I've seen when helping others to move!

Thanks! 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @OverlyAnxious. That sounds ideal! If it's definitely within the same council authority (which it sounds like it should be), then it won't impact your benefits and you won't be sent for reassessment because of moving. Is the rent the same as your current rent?

I'm not 100% certain on whether all of them can be updated online or if you may need to call to update some of them. Perhaps @Poppy123456 might know?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm so sorry for the late reply but i've only just seen this. Thanks @Adrian_Scope for the tag.

As Adrian has already advised it will just be a change of address and for this you'll need to ring DWP for each of the benefits you claim. You can't update any address online. For your housing benefit, you will need to contact your local council for the change of address.

Check here for the amount of LHA you will be entitled to for the new property you're moving to. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

To put your mind at rest this won't cause a re-assessment for your ESA claim either.

Good luck with the move and i hope you'll be really happy in your new home. I've recently moved and although it was the most stressful thing ever, i love my new home already.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hi,

I'm so sorry for the late reply but i've only just seen this. Thanks @Adrian_Scope for the tag.

As Adrian has already advised it will just be a change of address and for this you'll need to ring DWP for each of the benefits you claim. You can't update any address online. For your housing benefit, you will need to contact your local council for the change of address.

Check here for the amount of LHA you will be entitled to for the new property you're moving to. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

To put your mind at rest this won't cause a re-assessment for your ESA claim either.

Good luck with the move and i hope you'll be really happy in your new home. I've recently moved and although it was the most stressful thing ever, i love my new home already.

Thanks Poppy.

I can't use phones so it looks like it'll be far more hassle than it's worth trying to change anything.  :( 

Good to know it wouldn't trigger an ESA reassessment if/when I do move though!  

I've got a week to decide if I can justify this particular move or to keep waiting and searching for now, I'll let you all know if I do go ahead with it. :)
  • OverlyAnxious

Your local council would put you through to the welfare department....They can help for free removals.
    I hadn't heard of this before.  How does it work?  Do you need to fit any particular criteria (e.g. enhanced rate PIP?) and do they have specific contacts or do they just grant you some money and let you choose the company?  

I can't find anything about this on my local council website. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    A discretionary housing payment (DHP) can also cover moving costs, rent in advance and deposits. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Discretionary-Housing-Payment/What-is-a-Discretionary-Housing-Payment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness