Wbat are we having for sunday lunch? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wbat are we having for sunday lunch?

mrbuttons
mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge
Thought that this might be a fun discussion to have and a prompt to those of us who need a little inspiration to try something new for sunday lunch.

Im being very boring im having leftover beef and ale stew with roast potatoes and frozen veg (broccoli and carrots and sainsburys dripping basted frozen roasties) followed by apple strudel and custard. All can be done in the oven or the microwave within half an hour. So no major preparation or cooking involved.

My favourite sunday meal is a roast chicken with all the trimmings but im saving that for christmas day.
What are you having?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite veg atm are parsnips roasted in the oven with a good dollop of golden syrup over them for the last 5 minutes yum
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mrbuttons
    woodbine said:
    My favourite veg atm are parsnips roasted in the oven with a good dollop of golden syrup over them for the last 5 minutes yum
    i forgot how tasty parsnips are esp roasted with carrots with roast lamb. ive only ever used honey because i forget to buy golden syrup, but i will put it on my Christmas shopping list.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Instead of Sunday lunch, we do a two course meal for dinner. The first course consists of a healthy chicken and vegetable dish and the second course is dessert. Tomorrow I have made a lovely chicken risotto with cut up potatoes and for dessert a fruit cake with left over crisps. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    think I`m off round to Mr Buttons`s place!

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I thought you meant it takes 7 weeks to cook @poppy123456 ?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Ami2301 said:
    I thought you meant it takes 7 weeks to cook @poppy123456 ?
    Haha you are funny lol
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite element of a Sunday lunch is the mash potato! 
    Scope

• April2018mom
    My favorite bit is the ice cream! On Sundays after lunch we have fruitcake and ice cream for pudding. I also love the mashed vegetables and meat that make up the first part of the meal. We also start with prayers. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I love going to my parents for Sunday lunch and having my mum's steak pie with sausages in it, veg and roast or boiled potatoes or sometimes we have roast beef or chicken and I usually take a dessert.  The food on here sounds amazing!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    This Sunday we are having a mini Sunday dinner. Instead of a roast, I have decided to mix things up a bit. I’m going to cook mashed potatoes with reduced fat cream and for dessert, I think that apple crumble or leftover pumpkin pie will be fine. I was originally going over to a friend for dinner but she is unwell she texted today around lunchtime. Now I am hungry! 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one another Sunday recipe you can do for lunch is The Winter Ragu sauce with any meat.

Pork or Chicken or Lamb good cheap cuts  .  Pork Shoulder steaks or Chicken Thighs or Lamb Shoulder or Neck.

INGREDIENTS.

Onions, Celery two or three sticks diced and chopped.

Pack of Swede and Carrot mix. Most supermarket sell this for mashing but I use this as Ragu sauce.  Might not use it all portion for numbers.

Carton of Passata 500g Tub Chicken stock or whatever you wish to cover up meat and veggies.

Tomato puree and seasonings black pepper. Chilies if wish to or use Paprika any other spices work well here use Ground Coriander or use Cinnamon use half a teaspoon each or use a quarter of chillies.

Do not wish to add spices use the following.

Chicken herbs - Rosemary, Thyme.

Pork herbs - Fennel Seeds and Sage

Lamb . Beef - Oregano and Bay leaf.

Use a slow cooker here to its advantage as the cuts of meat need slow cooker. I do advise using one it is does help to tenderise the meat.

I would also advise this is a simple one pot meal no frills easy to do.

You can add Pasta to this, shred the meat add to Spaghetti or use with any shapes. Done this with Penne or Rigatoni.

When you cook the Ragu in the slow cooker.

Have a warm bowl ready use a microwave a portion of the vegetables, meat to any drained Pasta.

Mix together. Top with Parmesan cheese .

Any left over another meal.

METHOD

Meat of your choice Chicken remove the skin and others dice up in to largish chunks. Add to a freezer bag add Black pepper touch of salt and seal shake. You could add Garlic Powder or granules or any dried herbs. Have added Italian mix a half a teaspoon or spices chillies or Paprika.

In a separate pan colour meat add vegetables to stock pot colour season add olive oil add dash tomato puree any dried herbs and simply just cover with Passata, Stock. .

Note I use a separate pan for those cuts like Pork or Lamb that tend to be fatty.  Add diced to freezer bag and then to a separate pan.

Then add to stockpot bring to a boil simmer a few minutes. To slow cooker and then all the meat vegetables. Cover portion sauce might not use it all. 

On slow cooker low to four to six hours.

No Pasta I suggest use tinned pulses Lentils or Cannellini or Chickpeas.

Bueno Apetito

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Anyone have a good Sunday lunch last week? :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    Anyone have a good Sunday lunch last week? :)
    I did!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Always do have a spicy time lol.

Of course.  Love my Chilies lol.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
  • April2018mom
    Same as last week!
  • mrbuttons
    I couldn't wait until Christmas for my roast dinner, im having one tomorrow. roast chicken and potatoes green beans and carrots, followed by bread and butter pudding and ice cream. haven't felt much like eating during the week so I will make up for it tomorrow.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    It wont be lunch, it'll be tea around 6pm. But if all goes well chicken thighs, potato, onion, swede and carrots done in my new slow cooker with a chasseur sauce.

Brightness