Esa help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa help

Eatuptc_1986
Eatuptc_1986 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
So I am from America and my wife is getting esa she went into hospital and they found out that when she got back from the hospital that she had a change of circumstances only thing is she was getting out of the hospital they are saying that we need to do a new claim for her but I am not allowed to claim anything as my visa states this also I feel if we do a change of circumstances that they will put her on universal credit and she doesn't want to have to go onto it yet I work but don't want her beinfits to be affected by me but at this point I am already affecting her because they have taken her income related esa can anyone help me with this 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As you are working then she won't be entitled to any Income Related ESA. Whether she would be entitled to any Universal Credit will depend on your earnings. Even though you're not allowed to claim any benefits here. i'm afraid your earnings will still be taken into account when claiming any means tested benefits.

Do she claim PIP or DLA? If she does then these aren't means tested and you working will not affect the amount she can claim. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Eatuptc_1986 and a warm welcome to the community. 
    Have they said why she needs to make a new claim? Was she receiving ESA when she was in hospital?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Eatuptc_1986, how are you doing?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.