Backdated ESA payments - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated ESA payments

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    lucysam5 said:
    Hi I am a bit puzzled here  I was on incapacity benefit  from year 2000 until 2013 & changed to E S A today the present day could I request to see if I qualify  for any back payment  
    They are in the process of contacting everyone that transferred across and they will eventually send you a form to fill in and return.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lucysam5
    lucysam5 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Ok thanks for the advice I will let you know & keep in touch 
  • cecilslopcabbage63
    cecilslopcabbage63 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi I'm looking for advice for my son. He was given a backdated payment of 11,000 underpayment for ESA it says on the letter this is to be disregarded for 1yr. He has moved to a flat and put housing benefit and council tax form in the council along with proof of the underpayment. Today he received a letter to pay full council tax. He is now panacking he wont get housing benefit. This is not savings it was what he was owed. He has severe mental health issues.Any advice would be really appreciated.  Thank you
  • poppy123456
    Hi I'm looking for advice for my son. He was given a backdated payment of 11,000 underpayment for ESA it says on the letter this is to be disregarded for 1yr. He has moved to a flat and put housing benefit and council tax form in the council along with proof of the underpayment. Today he received a letter to pay full council tax. He is now panacking he wont get housing benefit. This is not savings it was what he was owed. He has severe mental health issues.Any advice would be really appreciated.  Thank you
    Hi,

If it was a DWP official error then it will be disregarded for the life of his ESA claim because it's more than £5,000. He'll need to ring ESA to ask. If it's not disregarded for life then it's definitely for 1 year and he needs to contact his local council and ask them why it's not been disregarded because it definitely should be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cecilslopcabbage63
    Thank you so much for your reply. I will do what you have suggested on monday. It says on his letter its disregarded for 1 year which is the beginning of january 2020. Haven't heard from housing benefit yet just council tax. Your advice is really appreciated. Thank you again.
  • poppy123456
    May i ask why he received the backdated money? Was he previously claiming incapacity benefit before ESA and the underpayment was because of that?
  • cecilslopcabbage63
    Yes it was from being on incapacity benefit. The being put on contribution based ESA.When he should have been on income related with SDP. 
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2019
    Then the backdated money is disregarded for the life of the ESA claim and not for just 1 year because it's more than £5,000 and an official DWP error.
  • cecilslopcabbage63
    We were told under £5000 was disregarded for life, or until the claim ended. Anything over that amount was disregarded for 1yr. On his letter it has 1yr. Thank you for your reply. I will check this out.
  • poppy123456
    We were told under £5000 was disregarded for life, or until the claim ended. Anything over that amount was disregarded for 1yr. On his letter it has 1yr. Thank you for your reply. I will check this out.
    That's not correct. It's the other way round. Under £5,000 and it's 1 year, over £5,000 when it's an official DWP error only, it's for the life of the ESA claim. I knew there was proof somewhere and here it is. https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-do-savings-and-lump-sum-pay-outs-affect-benefits#backdated-lump-sum-payments-from-dwp

My advice is for your son to ring DWP also because the 1 year disregard is incorrect.

• cecilslopcabbage63
    Ah thank you so much for all your help and replies. Thank god for people like you, for people like me. I feel much better at the end of the day than i did at the beginning. They should have looked at this and sorted it before sending things out that can cause so much distress. My son has Schizophrenia and this has so much chaos today. When it was money he has been owed through the DWP error. Thank you again. I will let you know how it goes.
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome. I'm glad i could help you!
  • lucysam5
    Is  e s a support getting backdated or  the components i don't understand which one it is 
  • poppy123456
    lucysam5 said:
    Is  e s a support getting backdated or  the components i don't understand which one it is 
    If you were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA then DWP will eventually contact you, if they haven't already. If they have already then you'll need to wait for DWP to make a decision, once they have they will send you a decision letter.
  • lucysam5
    I  got a letter just say that it transfered automaticly  in 2013  after being on incapasity  from 2000 until2013 until the present i also got a letter to go for a Assement  on the 4th of March which i got reply on the 18th of April  i got 
  • poppy123456
    lucysam5 said:
    I  got a letter just say that it transfered automaticly  in 2013  after being on incapasity  from 2000 until2013 until the present i also got a letter to go for a Assement  on the 4th of March which i got reply on the 18th of April  i got 
    If you were always claiming the premiums on top, which is called Income related top up then you won't be owed any backdated money. If you were sent an ESA3 form then you need to fill it in and return it.

The assessment you had is totally different.
  • danhabt86
    danhabt86 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hello there how can I apply for a backdate claim
    my brother who is on elmpoyment support allowance recently just changed to income support related after an error by dwp since 2010 but I still haven’t got any letter stating he would get any backdate payment 
    I understand it’s   towards the end of 2019 and getting worried 
    Any advice anyone ?
  • poppy123456
    danhabt86 said:
    Hello there how can I apply for a backdate claim
    my brother who is on elmpoyment support allowance recently just changed to income support related after an error by dwp since 2010 but I still haven’t got any letter stating he would get any backdate payment 
    I understand it’s   towards the end of 2019 and getting worried 
    Any advice anyone ?
    Hi,

There's no such thing as income support related. Are you talking about the incapacity benefit to ESA error? If so then DWP are in the process of contacting those that transferred across. When they do contact him then will send him a form to fill in with all his details. They will then assess him for the income related top up. Whether he's entitled to any backdated money will totally depend on his circumstances at that time. Some have been owed money and some haven't.

Once the form is received he'll need to wait for a decision to made and this can take in excess of 20 weeks.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @danhabt86 and welcome to the community! How are you getting on?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.