Cannabis products that help with pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cannabis products that help with pain

simba
simba Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia along with severe muscle spasms, osteopenia, osteoarthritis in knees and hip, degenerative disc disease in my lower spine, IBS, type 2 diabetes insulin controlled, asthma, Copd, Bronchiectasis, Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis and Pulmonary Fibrosis. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I have read in numerous places that cannabis or cannabis products are highly successful in treating the chronic pain associated with a number of my conditions. I have reverted at time to having a joint when they’re particularly severe and the benefits are amazing without the side effects of so many of my medications. Can anyone advise on how I can get on a trial or whatever I need to do to get this help legally...apart from emigrate! :o)

Comments

• suzy_sugar2005
    suzy_sugar2005 Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Maybe speak with your doctor as 2 have just become available on the NHS
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019

Hi @simba - Welcome to this very supportive community. Cannabidiol is completely legal as it only contains trace elements of THC (the psychoactive part of cannabis). I've been taking cannabidiol (CBD) for 15 months. May I recommend this facebook page, the 'Simply CBD Users Support:' https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimplyCBD/

The information I learnt there really helped me to try CBD; how to start, & build up gradually, to find the dosage that might help. They also correctly stress that many medications (& even over the counter ones you might buy) must be taken into consideration as to the timing of doses. This is because CBD is broken down by a complex of enzymes in the liver where over 90% of medications are also broken down. Therefore time gaps are needed (4 hours is recommended) between taking CBD & most medications, etc. to ensure you get the benefit of prescribed medications (& not an accidental overdose).

It is therefore essential that anyone considering taking CBD should discuss this with their prescribing Dr., or a pharmacist. I discussed this with our GP's surgery pharmacist by telephone. She was most helpful; whilst mentioning I was the first person who'd asked! I had already done some research, & thought the medication I take wasn't broken down by the liver, but still felt it was incredibly important to get this verified by a pharmacist. If you feel uncomfortable with asking your GP or pharmacist, just go into your high street chemists & ask to speak to their pharmacist. Ask if your medication, or any over the counter meds, or supplements you take, are adversely affected by the liver's cytochrome P450 complex (the liver enzymes I've mentioned above).

The information I received from the above facebook page isn't available on a bottle of CBD you buy from a high street shop, so sadly many try CBD & find it ineffective. The green oil I use from Simply CBD: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/ has a 'strange' taste, to put it mildly, but seems to be the best one for pain. Lower dosages & perhaps a different 'starter' oil are however recommended for anyone with anxiety. In all it's a complex subject; there is 'no one size fits all,' & finding what may work is often a case of 'trial & error.'

I also vape CBD e-liquids from https://littlehempshop.co.uk. As these obviously do not go through your digestive system, they may help those who want to try CBD, but struggle due to taking medications needing a gap between taking these & CBD. They also sell hempy tea which again you can have any time.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simba & @suzy_sugar2005 - My understanding is that cannabis is so far only approved for use in children with very severe epilepsy, & in MS patients here in the UK. I have suggested speaking to her GP who may confirm this.
    The good news is, that research (mainly in the USA), seems to be showing that CBD can be just as effective as medical cannabis especially where pain & anxiety are concerned.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @simba! Thank you for sharing this and I'm glad you have seen benefits. Is this something you have spoken to your doctor about?
    Scope

Brightness