Does DLA/PIP mobility help? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does DLA/PIP mobility help?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    And yes my son's DLA money helps. I applied for high rate mobility and low rate care. We mainly use it to pay for adaptations to our flat. Also some of it is used to cover all other disability related travel expenses and his wheelchair costs. I keep a diary detailing reasons for costs.
    And I find the customer magazine very useful. I have many spare copies in my bedroom. Lots of good ideas on wheelchair friendly days out etc. My son loves to do the wordsearch puzzle too! I always make a photocopy of the articles about other disabled people which I keep in a folder and use to start a discussion. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    @April2018mom i thought you said your son was 2 years old. Mobility can't be awarded to children under 3 years old.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    @April2018mom i thought you said your son was 2 years old. Mobility can't be awarded to children under 3 years old.
    He had his third birthday last week. 
  • Msbettyboop
    Msbettyboop Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    @Adrian_Scope Hi, I have enhanced mobility. I cannot drive but my partner does. We considered using the scheme decided not to as I was worried about having the car taken off us further down the line so that put us off and also the car we have he uses for work and we wouldn't be able to do that if we had the mobility car.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Doesn`t anyone here drive their mobitlity car from a wheelchair?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I get basic rate mobility pip at the moment as I cannot travel independently for various reasons. I don't drive and only use taxis to travel outwith my local area.
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Hello Everyone
    I use a mobility car I have had one converted to take my wheelchair its got a ramp that allows my to drive straight up into the car. we didn't have a choice. we needed to get one so I was able to travel. I was lucky I got enhance rate mobility on my PIP so as soon as we were awarded it we used it for a car I paid out for an electric wheelchair myself
    It  became a pain having to dismantle it everytime we needed to go on longer journeys. my husband never moaned but  he is was 65 at the time and the pure weight of it was taking it's toll on him.

I know we had to pay over a  one and half grand up front, but to me its worth it,  and as it stands now we were told you could add another person, a third person to drive free but you have to pay the insurance for any more. I thinks it a very good deal.

I understand that people have had there cars taken away from them, this is not fair 
    i sometimes do think what if that happens to me. we rely on that car, but I don't think it will or I hope it won't as my condition is worse now than it was when I was awarded  the enhanced rate.

for me it has been a godsend.

• poppy123456
    Happy birthday to your son for last week. I must admit if he does have high mobility and a vehicle through the mobility scheme then that was very quick indeed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I prefer not to use the Motability scheme to lease a car, as there are too many restrictions.
    eg you can only have 2 drivers, wheras I use a pool of 5 to drive me around.

The main driver can not live more than 5 miles from me...mine does

I used it to get a powerchair and it cost too much...almost 4k.

But that was through Mobility right? How much did they charge you? Was it out of allowance?

My gripe is that people on Standard should be allowed! Most ( me included) use my PIP to get a car on PCP and pay for the extras like the RAC cover which they give with Mobility - but a Mobility car would be better. Mobility say they would love to help but the Government stop them - I don't disbelieve that for a second.
  • pcoventry
    I thought it was 5? we were told my son can't have higher rate is because he is only 4! 
  • pcoventry
    Let`s talk about drive from wheelchair cars.

I ride in my wheelchair, in the back of my wav...which I bought.ie not motability.
     I have looked into getting a drive from on motability. My word! The price of the adaptation is horrendous...about 15k I think.

But you can get good used ones from around 10k.

Does anyone have one,,,either on motability or otherwise?
    No but I used to work for BCA and every day I was picking up either end of allowance or end of lease Motab's and a lot of them were WAV's - usually Peugeot or Citroen adaptions. 
  • pcoventry
    Connie00 said:
    Hello Everyone
    I use a mobility car I have had one converted to take my wheelchair its got a ramp that allows my to drive straight up into the car. we didn't have a choice. we needed to get one so I was able to travel. I was lucky I got enhance rate mobility on my PIP so as soon as we were awarded it we used it for a car I paid out for an electric wheelchair myself
    It  became a pain having to dismantle it everytime we needed to go on longer journeys. my husband never moaned but  he is was 65 at the time and the pure weight of it was taking it's toll on him.

I know we had to pay over a  one and half grand up front, but to me its worth it,  and as it stands now we were told you could add another person, a third person to drive free but you have to pay the insurance for any more. I thinks it a very good deal.

I understand that people have had there cars taken away from them, this is not fair 
    i sometimes do think what if that happens to me. we rely on that car, but I don't think it will or I hope it won't as my condition is worse now than it was when I was awarded  the enhanced rate.

for me it has been a godsend.

I am waiting for a tribunal due to the incompetence of the DA. I only got 10 points - She said that as I had a driving licence I had no mental issues  or problems getting around and didn't qualify for a car.  By her logic no one, including you should have one - so I challenged it because as I am sure you agree it's totally wrong 
  • poppy123456
    pcoventry said:
    I thought it was 5? we were told my son can't have higher rate is because he is only 4! 
    No, that's not correct. As advised, for children they can't claim mobility DLA until they reach 3 years old and then they can only claim for higher rate. Once they are 5 they can then claim either lower rate or higher rate. See link for confirmation. Google is a wonderful thing. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/before-you-claim-dla/claiming-dla/

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    A huge thank you to everyone that has answered so far. It's been really interesting to read the different reasons why people don't use the Motability scheme (I hadn't thought about how it works for families @SteveE so thank you for that!) and the anxieties of the people that do use it. 

@Jean Eveleigh, it does sound like the deposits put a lot of people off using the scheme. Thanks for explaining how the mobility component helps you in other ways. 

@Msbettyboop, thanks for telling us your experience. Needing to run two cars if you had one through Motability is a really valid point, thank you. 

@debbiedo49, do you think if you were on enhanced rate mobility you would use Motability? If not, do you mind me asking why? 

@pcoventry, I'm really sorry you were informed incorrectly regarding high rate mobility for your son. The information regarding this isn't the clearest either unless you know where to look. If either you or your son had high rate mobility would you lease from Motability rather than on PCP? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I've no idea as I don't drive but have had good experience when my dad was alive and used metabolite yes
  • Ozzy2013
    Ozzy2013 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    I've used a few mobility companies through Motability to get mobility scooters in the past, I've found with every one that the equipment always comes back from it's first 6 month service with problems it never had before & for the rest of my service the companies keep taking the equipment in for repairs through the insurance of things that are not wrong with the equipment.... & at the end I have to give the equipment back...... I'd rather buy my equipment myself & instruct people on how to do repairs whilst i am there, my powerchair is vital if i were to need to do anything outside my bed, & giving it back if the government decided to try more dodgy assessments would not be an option
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Both my wife and I qualify for the higher rate but don't use the scheme. I am fortunate that  as an ex mechanic I am able to do some of  the servicing myself. My policy is to find cheap low mileage cars ( less than £ 500) that I can scrap if any repair makes it uneconomical. We do very little mileage in a year but roadside recovery is a must for us. Our oldest car we have had for 6 years now. The biggest advantage of this is that we can change at any time if our needs change.

I realise that most people are not so fortunate but I can see a time when we may use the motability scheme
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    @CockneyRebel welcome back!! It's so good to see you post again, it's been a while! I hope you're well, or as well as can be. Seeing your post made me smile.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks, it has been a while much drama going on but I haven't forgoten about you all

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    @CockneyRebel i'm sorry to hear that! I hope things improve soon!

Brightness