Looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother

Organum
Organum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
My name is Richard and I am looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother who is seriously ill and stuck in a flat.
Looking online there seems to be many options of what looks suitable for a wheelchair with climbing action on Amazon but all are from China. I have phoned around UK dealers and immediately they just say no whereas I would have thought this is a common requirement. 

What do you guys think? 

I would much prefer to deal with someone in the UK where I can see the unit before buying since these are expensive bits of kit.

Thanks

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Organum

My son is a full time wheelchair user. Initially I contacted the NHS for tips and recommendations. They could not help me so in desperation I looked at other options for acquiring a wheelchair for my son. Have you contacted the Disabled Living Foundation or not? I agree. 
    When I was researching wheelchairs online two years ago I read their factsheets on wheelchairs and I found them very helpful. What about the One Big Day event held by the well known Motability Scheme? I went last year and came back with lots of information. I took detailed notes whilst attending the event. I was even able to talk to people and get responses and recommendations. 
    Additionally I think you can test out wheelchairs at a mobility aid shop. Good luck! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Organum! Has your brother ever had an NHS wheelchair assessment? This can be done by getting a GP referral.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Organum
    Organum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks both for useful pointers. My sister-in-law has hopefully looked into both but I will check. The problem is that he may not have much time left, hence my trying to help. 
    I found one UK supplier who will do demos and have passed on the information. When talking to the chair dealers they said that they did not do stair climbers.
    I will let you know how this works out.
    Thanks again. Richard
    https://www.stanleyhandling.co.uk/tolo-wheelchair-stair-climber/
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Please do let us know how you get on @Organum! I'm sorry to hear that me may not have much time left, this must be distressing for the family. I hope you are able to find something suitable soon. :)
    Scope

Brightness