Severe disability premium?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium??

suzannah17
suzannah17 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hello was just wondering if I’m entitled to the SDP or not, I currently have a carer so I wouldn’t get it ATM but there stopping within the next few weeks I know I have to update ESA DWP of change of circumstances but was just wondering if I’m entitled to the SDP on my assessment report last year at the bottom it says ‘ Therefore based on the above evidence, severe disability is likely in initiating and completing personal action ‘ I’m currently in the support group and receive £246.90 if I am entitled to the SDP how much will my payments be? I’m on enhanced daily living and mobility of PIP. Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To be eligible for the SDP you must live alone or be classed as living alone. If you live with another adult then they must also claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or attendance allowance and no one must be claiming carers allowance or the carers element of universal credit for looking after you.

It doesn't matter if you have a carer, what matters is do they claim carers allowance or the carers element of UC for looking after you and do you live alone right now?

If all that applies in the future then the SDP is £65.85 per week extra on your ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Hello. You would get £65.85. You may also get. Extra benefit of the disability Guarantee. £16.85. Hope this helps. Take care ? Will x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Parrot123 said:
    Hello. You would get £65.85. You may also get. Extra benefit of the disability Guarantee. £16.85. Hope this helps. Take care ? Will x
    The disability income guarantee is the Enhanced disability premium and looking at the amount that's being received this includes that premium.

Whether suzannah is entitled to the SDP will totally depend on her circumstances, not everyone is entitled to this premium.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @suzannah17! I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help you here, but please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.