Depression and anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression and anxiety

Chloloux
Chloloux Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
I'd love to say my 2019 has been great so far. 
Ive had anxiety since I was 13 years old, as I've got older it's developed in ways that I've at the time struggled to understand. 
This year I've hit an all time low, I had a miscarriage in February which in itself was absolutely heart breaking. Then in April I lost my grandad, he was the person I was most close to and see every day. 
Since these losses I've struggled even more, I cry every night, Ive lacked interest in going out doing fun things, my normal bubbly character is slowly disappearing and I'm feeling the stress at work.. 
I struggle to talk to people face to face as this usually ends in me sobbing. What do I do? I don't want medication, I want to do something that'll help in the long term with managing this.
X

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello
    Mental health issues are scary aren’t they? 
    Ask your GP whether or not they can refer you to your local community mental health team. If you are in Surrey check out the Mary Frances Trust. They offer a number of groups, clubs and activity sessions for people with mental health problems. Google them.
    You can find a list here at https://www.maryfrancestrust.org.uk/services/
    Also are you seeing a therapist or not?
    There is a mental health self help booklet also available called First Steps. You can get it from your local community library or online https://www.healthysurrey.org.uk/your-health/mental-wellbeing/adults/self-help/advice-and-support-guide.
    Also MIND may also be of help. Contact your local NHS MH services tomorrow.
    As a starting point for therapy- https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Mental-health-information-and-support/LocationSearch/330
    Hang in there. 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @Chloloux

I think it's really important to acknowledge the fact that you've had 2 very significant losses this year and so it is totally understandable that you would react to these losses - feeling bereaved, upset, low, maybe even angry at times - these reactions are totally normal reactions, ie they do not mean you are mentally 'ill' [I'm not a fan of that word, preferring distress] but rather mentally normal.  I think there is a growing and worrying tendency for society/doctors etc to pathologise normal reactions to significant and stressful events such as the ones you have experienced.

You may find it helpful to talk to someone about how you are feeling and if you have a supportive GP they should be able to respect the fact that you don't want medication and should be able to refer you for counselling, though often this will be CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - which is great for anxiety but perhaps not so great for loss.  

So I'm wondering whether you might find Cruse more helpful:  https://www.cruse.org.uk/

It might be helpful to know that grief/loss is a process and so you may find this link interesting/helpful:  https://www.therapistaid.com/worksheets/stages-of-grief-education.pdf

I'm hoping that with some support from an organisation like Cruse or a counsellor with experience in counselling people about loss that you can be supported through this difficult time.

I wish you all the very best in doing this.

Emma

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you doing @Chloloux ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • naomimandeena1
    naomimandeena1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Just a tip as i have depression and anxiety when i start to feel scared or feel like i am just going to start crying i sit their deep breaths and cound to 5 but touching both my hands with my thum doing the work to the other fingers and it helps me as i have been given meds off the doctors the first 2 lots did nothing and my lot of meds i am on now just make me sleep and that dont help as i still feel the same when i wake up again so i do this to help me and i have also done a cognative behavior therapy and this did help a lot as well as most days i didnt want to go out i was scared to even have my front door open i cryed most of the day and night and then didnt sleep much and then i would have days where i would do noting at all but sit their i hope this can help you like does for me xxx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @naomimandeena1   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

I have mental health issues myself. Please if I can help with anything, please get in touch.

I am one of the community champions on the forum, we help, advise members.

Please if you wish to. Used Mental health charities last time.

If this one might be helpful just being supportive, caring and concerned.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Often get access to ways to help and cope with what you have.  Floating support, outreach workers and lots of advice. Information on well being and health.

CBT good to hear.  Well done to you must have been difficult for you as it . I know myself coping and trying to deal with personal issues.

Medications many of them have sign effects, feel tired and sleepy that I know myself.

Please if you think your having problems with meds. Speak to your GP.

I do a review every three to six months, if there has been any problems with your GP.

Use advocate services RETHINK.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please may I also suggest learning, being educational having knowledge about your illness is a long term strategy.

Find lifestyle course to help you cope.

I have had my illness a long time and since use a lot of courses to benefit my self.

Some places and areas have Colleges called Recovery Colleges funded by NHS or local charities.  Have a look in your area. Not in all.

You learn about meds, diet, sleep and other factors effecting your illness.

Please I hope that helps and please enjoy your time with us the community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • naomimandeena1
    The spiceman thank you so much for letting me know about the courses about my illness and i will have a look and i have spoken to my gp about my meds and i am not to happy with my gp at the moment and i have had mine about 5 years now just before i had my oldest child and it is heard i struggle a lot and what to sit their most days upset hurt and want to cry but i dont i keep it in and charm down and try to put it at the back of my head and just get on with my day  
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @naomimandeena1   Thank you for your reply.

Please may I suggest speak to RETHINK.

Advocate charity. They will speak to your about how they can help.

I hope that helps you.

Also look at the charity I suggested Mental Health one does the same and offers a lot of support can be beneficial.

Please your not alone. I had similar with Doctors.

Sorry to hear this.

Please if I can help or need a chat always here anytime. You want to.

Keep in touch, keep warm and safe.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thank you for sharing this with us @naomimandeena1. Do you get much support from any professionals besides your GP?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • naomimandeena1
    Not now i did do a cbt but no other professionals are not involved but my gp and they dont do much they just ask me about my meds and if they dont work they give me different ones and the same every time they dont work 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    EmmaB said:
    Hi @Chloloux

I think it's really important to acknowledge the fact that you've had 2 very significant losses this year and so it is totally understandable that you would react to these losses - feeling bereaved, upset, low, maybe even angry at times - these reactions are totally normal reactions, ie they do not mean you are mentally 'ill' [I'm not a fan of that word, preferring distress] but rather mentally normal.  I think there is a growing and worrying tendency for society/doctors etc to pathologise normal reactions to significant and stressful events such as the ones you have experienced.

You may find it helpful to talk to someone about how you are feeling and if you have a supportive GP they should be able to respect the fact that you don't want medication and should be able to refer you for counselling, though often this will be CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - which is great for anxiety but perhaps not so great for loss.  

So I'm wondering whether you might find Cruse more helpful:  https://www.cruse.org.uk/

It might be helpful to know that grief/loss is a process and so you may find this link interesting/helpful:  https://www.therapistaid.com/worksheets/stages-of-grief-education.pdf

I'm hoping that with some support from an organisation like Cruse or a counsellor with experience in counselling people about loss that you can be supported through this difficult time.

I wish you all the very best in doing this.

Emma
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @EmmaB what a great post. I so agree.

@naomimandeena1 I'm so sorry to read of your  losses. Losing a member family is one of the most terrible things to happen to you. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. On top of already losing your baby it's no wonder you feel as you do. Speaking from experience things will get easier but unfortunately that will happen over time. Take care if yourself x
  • naomimandeena1
    edited November 2019
    Can i just say i have not had losses in the family i will go in to others with more detail about why i suffer with depression and anxiety if they add me on facebook my name on their is [edited by moderator]
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @naomimandeena1, just wanted to let you know that sharing your information for Facebook is not allowed on the community.

Is there anything I can do to help?
    Scope

Brightness