Disabled housing in Leeds ozzy2013 - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled housing in Leeds ozzy2013

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - Good to hear you're a bit better today.
    I had the same message about Admin too; I couldn't get on here without saying I'd forgotten my password, then got a link emailed to me immediately, & then had to set a new password! Must have been some glitch.
    Hope you have a restful day if you possibly can.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - I can well imagine that coming here, then thinking no-one was going to reply, then several from Scope (including volunteers) replying, & the rest of us (!) was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster for you. So, no wonder you felt drained of energy.
    Just hope this weekend you have continued to feel that bit better, & had some much needed sleep; both you & your partner. I'll say 'Goodnight' to you both, & hope to hear more from you soon.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Ozzy2013, as @chiarieds said, I imagine after all you've gone through it was a lot to take this step, but I'm glad you did and we'll do whatever we can to help.

The password issue is unfortunately as a result of a software update that occurred over the weekend and triggered everybody to require a password reset. If anyone reading this has any issues logging in to their account or resetting their password, please email us at community@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ozzy2013
    Ozzy2013 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hi @chiarieds & @Adrian_Scope
    It's been quite overwhelming after nearly 14 years of being housed by Leeds City Council (excluding the initial waiting time at my friends house) & nobody listening to me that whole time until now....  I've had workers with adult social care since living here but they were useless, the first one turned up 2009 after an assessment from the council, i thought he was cool at first as he road a superbike everywhere, then he turned up 1 day while i was sat by my front door trying to force a wire for an intercom through the old spyhole on the door so i didn't have to open it to hostile people, i explained what i was doing & showed him the intercom & the handset for inside... he left & several hours later the police turned up insisting they must come in or they would break my door down as my social worker claimed i was trying to put a forcefield up around the flat... not sure what planet he was on, i put in complaints & a year later they sent me a new worker called Chris, he brought OT's round to see if they could do adaptations & when they couldn't he left me with a bath step & seat i couldn't use....

Then the police arrested me coming out of a local park on my mobility scooter with my carer John as they saw us playing bat & ball, by the time we left the park we had lost the ball over a fence & put the bat away in my scooter bag, the police were parked outside the park watching us play but when we came out they pounced on us & arrested me fr offencive weapons as i didn't have a ball any more which i thought was a joke, I was convicted for having a bat in my mobility scooter bag regardless of the fact we had been seen using it for sports games before the arrest by the police who arrested me, & the head of York Rd probation office personally requested my case as she had family members with the same autism as me.... My probation officer was of the opinion that it wasn't my fault & contacted adult social care about funding for me to attend Leeds Special Autism service in place of my probation as there was no criminal intent in me having the bat in my bag & she wanted to help me... Chris from adult social care phoned me to tell me i wouldn't be getting the funding, i had a complete meltdown shouting at him on the phone telling him he was fired & not to call my number again..... my probation officer called me shortly after to tell me the meltdown had done me a favour & adult social care had changed their minds & granted funding for Leeds Special Autism service....

about another 18 months went by & I was given a new worker with Adult Social Care, she must have been about 20yo & didn't have a clue what she was doing, It took 4-8 months at a time to get any contact with her..... Even when the Jobcentre sent one of their dodgy assessment doctors round who drastically cut our money, it took my social worker a year to help, by that time the woman from welfare rights she brought to my home had to fill out a new application as i was out of review time, the application was accepted straight away as there is no denying the severity of my disabilities.....

after that i completely lost faith in adult social care, i spoke with my worker from Leeds Special Autism service about it & requested help getting a new social worker, adult social care told my worker from the autism service i couldn't have a new social worker without putting complaints in writing about the old one, I have found i am treated badly by services if i start putting in complaints about their workers so i declined......

4 years later (end of last year) my partner/carer Lia contacter Adult social care for help, they told us all they do now is help people with getting dressed & making sure they are eating, i'm sure they were lying to us to deny us help.... 

I have been getting a short phone call every week for years now since i couldn't attend Leeds Special Autism, they were helping a lot, until this year Leeds City Council found out the autism service were helping me with advice to get us rehoused..... suddenly the council sent a financial assessor round who wouldn't accept any of my care expenses as care expenses even though they have until now, & suddenly Adult Social care wanted me to pay £75 a month for a 10 min call a week from the autism service.... the autism service complained & officially suspended my service so i didn't have to pay the bills the council had sent me, then until a few weeks ago when my worker left the autism service they were helping me for free all this year as it was felt by alot of people the council were trying to cut off any help i had opposing them with what they've done to me....

over the years I have tried phoning nearly every charity supposed to be there to help & gotten nowhere, i tried Facebook pages & nobody was interested.... I'm in shock right now that people have actually listened..... Thank you all ?
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - Thank you for keeping us all updated. The Scope community I've found are not only supportive, but also really care.
    As your story unfolds, it's so difficult to read you haven't received the help you undoubtedly need. It's good to know, however, that you feel people here are indeed listening.
    Just to let you know you are both again in my thoughts, Goodnight.
  • chiarieds
    edited November 2019
    Hi, still here @Ozzy2013 - Hope you've been as OK as you can be today. Trying to reach out to various charities & getting no help at all seems unimaginable in this day & age. I sincerely hope that Scope may far better help you. People here in this community really do care about others I've found. Goodnight, & please let us all know how you're doing each day.

• Ozzy2013
    Hi @chiarieds, I've been forcing myself to sleep for the past few days to deal with the anxiety the joint council & solicitor survey of this flat tomorrow is causing, I've charged my wifi bodycam ready for my partner to follow them around with, the council did do a survey this time last year which admitted everything wrong with this property, & after my solicitors surveyors report said the same thing Leeds council somehow "lost" the first survey & sent someone round for another one which said they didn't see the problems.... my partner took more pictures of the mould & damp the council couldn't see & my solicitor sent them in to the council solicitors who then agreed the joint survey tomorrow.... My partner tells me there is even bubbles of water behind the paint on the inside of the exterior bathroom walls, she nearly fell through the floor in the back room we no longer use because of the mould & damp as the floorboards are starting to rot, & the council tried to get out of it lol... I know tomorrow is going to help as the council can't deny what they see with an independent surveyor overlooking the survey, but having a bunch of people i don't know all in my home at the same time fills me with dread.... got to get it over & done with, it's a shame the only medication that has ever helped with the anxiety is Prozac but it gives me leaky gut ?
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - You are very wise to look after yourself whichever way works for you. I'm sorry you're having this extra stress right now, which if your EDS body is anything like mine, just increases the pain.
    You will get through tomorrow; not much longer to go, then hopefully you can both relax a little, once you get your home back to yourselves. Just tell yourself that you are doing amazingly well, which you are.
    Hope you're in the land of Nod again! I'll not write later tonight, but I will be thinking about you both just the same.
    When you feel able please do let us know how tomorrow works out. An early 'Goodnight.'
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @Ozzy2013

Hello again. :)

You've really been so brave coming on here and sharing everything. 

It's late now and I'm going to sleep but just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow and hope all goes well. 

Keep us all updated if you can manage it. x
  • Ozzy2013
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @paffuto10 @chiarieds ..... The survey went better than expected, the guy from the council kept trying little excuses but Richard the third party surveyor just kept correcting him & put him in his place lol, The guy from the council left after arranging to exchange paperwork with Richard when it's written up, & to arrange a plan of work to be carried out here... Richard's opinion is that this place can't be made suitable for my disabilities & has already sent them 1 report saying that this year, During the survey Richard put his foot through the floor in the back room it's that bad here....

Anyways, with that all over I passed out until about 17:00 from the stress & anxiety of it all.... I woke up & my partner made me a coffee, we sat with the phone on loudspeaker to my partners dad telling him how it went.... 20:10 still on the phone when 2 men in luminus vests knocked on our door, I asked them who they were through the CCTV intercom & they said they were here from Mears council contractors to do an emergency repair on the floor, 10 past 8 at night without even a phone call after the council have accepted they need an appointment here at least 7 days in advance for me to try & get my anxieties under control, my solicitor said the councils solicitor accepted a week in advance to be very reasonable with how unknown people in my home affects me so badly.....

My partner went to the door & told them they need an appointment to come here & they said they would go back to their office & tell them. I've emailed my solicitor with what's happened & am hoping for a reply in the morning, I'm now Sat feeling all tense & achy all over after finally thinking i could relax after a week adjusting to the idea of the survey that took place at midday today, Then people banging on my door wanting to do work i assume to cover themselves with this legal case we have against them... Now i'm going to be sat here on edge for weeks expecting them to just appear when it suits them ?
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - What a day, & evening you've had! Thank you for letting us all know, but sorry to read that you had repair work thought appropriate so late in the evening, & with no warning!
    I hope you hear back from your solicitor quickly, & he sorts things out for you; you don't need any more stress....I'm feeling for you, my EDS companion.
    You obviously need urgent re-housing, so the positive bit is that it's going to be very difficult for your council to wriggle out of this now after today's survey. And I'm sure your solicitor will remind the council that it's been agreed that you need a week's warning due to your health issues for any repairs to be done in the meanwhile.
    I have been reading through all your messages again, & I'm wondering if you might contact your MP. You might get them to then contact your solicitor, who knows all the awful problems you're having. I would think your solicitor would be agreeable if you ask them, & give your permission for them to discuss your case. It's just a thought; I have no knowledge, but was hoping this might be another avenue to explore to back up how dreadful your current situation is.

• Ozzy2013
    Hi @chiarieds we contacted local MP Hilary Benn at the start of the year, His office is supposed to have a case open because of all this, His office messaged me a couple of months ago, it had taken him 6 months to get any reply from Leeds City Council & that was something they sent us 2 months before giving us priority over non existent non age restricted bungalows.... He has messaged me since telling me he was unsure what to do, so he's been utterly useless in my opinion & won't be getting my vote again.....

If the council don't move us soon I'm planning on bunkering down here for another couple of years whilst saving for some private woodland & a used caravan, living in a shed would be an upgrade to this place, a couple of years more of this hell & we could save for at least an acre of private forest in the middle of nowhere, Leeds City Council seems to be maffia run & I don't know the secret handshake or something ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ozzy2013   Apologise for not getting in touch sooner.

My fantastic friends @chiarieds and @paffuto10 have been in touch with you and given much needed support, advice and lots of their time.

Listening and offering compassion and empathy.

My care and concern is please can I ask did you ever look at any of the links I provided for you in one of my posts.

Including the following if these might be useful. I just want to help you but it seems you either forgotten or not have contacted any body.

I am sorry what has happened. All I know have been their there is support, help and guidance to find a new home, some where else to live.

I have moved five times ongoing due to my addiction and my disability living next door to people ,..Who do not wish or want you as a neighbour.

Been burglarised, assaulted and used a source of income for those who are land lords private rented homes.

No heating and lots of minor violations of the law been and had heating, system's checked a t my own expenses.

I did not intend to list every thing I have gone through could fill book.

Found my own way and used my common senses by looking a what is available in the area and also on line.

Many landlord then cut your to a bone sometimes never played by there own contracts or rent agreement. Many times several had to take photos before moving in as they would demand payment and lose my deposit due to damage but I had proof.

I had experiences and encounters from landlords who did not want me to have a satellite, no pets, not even a girlfriend had to sneak one in even they were away or be careful due to nosy neighbours of one they were related to.

Any thing I required to be comfortable, or need to for security, safety objected to.

There are those housing associations one I recommended have support networks for those tenants like my self. Whether mental health or other disabilities.

A lot of housing associations do this.

Please consider this.  If Leeds City Council is it not working look at options.

Please can I add have had to move out with two suitcases no furniture and those days may I add one other point is the leaving time, evicted dates were six weeks.

Yet I found some where used libraries use newspapers used media on line.

Must share I am concerned with your housing situation as a community member wish I could do more.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

https://www.homegroup.org.uk.

Did I mention The Richmond fellowship has it own housing association and advisors.

I wish you well please if I can help further please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    So sorry @Ozzy2013, I had hoped your MP might also help.
    Have you looked at Park Homes? Saying this because I live in one. My son bought one, as he worked out in 3 and a half years it was cheaper than renting. They are timber framed, & depending on how much you can afford, or where you hope to live, are a bit between a static caravan & a bungalow. Mines only 10' x 40.' You have to buy them, & also pay a ground rent...we currently pay £28 per week.
    Where we both live (my son said come & live here & I will look after you, which he has done), there's also a wonderful sense of 'old-fashioned' community. Neighbours help & look out for each other. Here there are also some static caravans, which can only be used for 6 months of the year. In other Park Homes sites you can be a resident for all but one week of the year; others such as here have fully residential sites.
    Just mentioning as I live in the same county as yourself, & where renting a property is probably more expensive.
    Hope you can both get some restful sleep tonight.
  • Ozzy2013
    Hi @chiarieds & @thespiceman Even if we're not properly housed by Leeds council, after all they have put us through i plan on staying here & throwing every court case i can at them before going, I went to Brookfield House school for the disabled in London when I was younger & I feel if I let the council here get away with treating me the way they have they could do the same to any of my friends any time they like, they need teaching a lesson if they're not willing to change their ways & treat disabled people properly!!!

@thespiceman The Temporary properties the council had me in for 2 years before this place were privately owned, the letters coming through the door every week showed the landlords were claiming housing benefit for 3 times the amount of people they had living in the properties, with everything those criminals put me through, like you with burglaries, assaults, even putting me on the streets for having my registered carers stay to help even though they were on my housing application, i could never consider private housing again... I will be exploring the links you have sent, it takes me a while to push myself into new things, & this week's been alot for me to deal with... I will get to it when i've managed to calm down ??

@chiarieds We have been exploring holiday homes for years, the constant payments & closing periods of the parks put us off... We've found if we purchased some woodland it would be legal to live in a temporary structure  permanently if we are "working the woodland" which could just be us planning positions of new trees to be planted, but we'd have no further payments once we own that land, & if the government decided to mess with peoples disability benefits again we could rent forest land on weekends to survivalists who usually pay around £30 a day each for private woodland to practice their fire making & shelter building, & some just to camp out... if they helped me by removing any fallen trees & overgrown bushes they are also classed as working the woodland & are not restricted by camping laws with my consent to be on the land.....

I've spoken to my solicitor today, he wasn't impressed with the council turning up unannounced last night at 20:10, he  has emailed the council's solicitors to have them speak to their people as the council aren't following the agreed adjustments made for my disabilities regarding to visiting my home... hopefully the council will be responding Monday, they're obviously not even listening to their own solicitor as she said to our solicitor weeks ago a week in advance for appointments was very reasonable considering how it affects my anxieties which also affect my physical health badly.... I've been keeping a record of everything to do with the council for over a decade including every letter they've sent me, every little thing they try to do now outside what's been agreed with my housing solicitor is coming back to bite them when i hire the public law solicitor to deal with the discrimination Minton Morrill solicitors have witnessed & commented on, that  witness is all i needed to get a serious law firm to stand up & pay attention but that's a surprise for the council later ??

Thanks for your help ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ozzy2013   Thank you for the reply. I am and was a student at Finchale College for the disabled in Durham.

Asked a housing officer to help me six weeks before the end of my contract at College. Let me down.

Understand what you are saying but why waste time, I am  sorry if you feel betrayed and hurt.

I have one thing in my corner my faith my Christianity. Add to that my courage, my strength and it is time to think is this worth it .  Time in my own view to look at choices and your own wellbeing.

It is good to stubborn have the attitudes of wanting to stand up for disability and yes I do agree but if this comes with a price a cost to you personally your health or even worse your sanity.

I am a defender and a white knight of our members on the forum just do care and have concern, will fight for any one and supportive.

I have regrets, and get the guilty feelings of just trying to cope and do recognise every ones situations

I am sorry but mystified and quite concerned for your own self as you continue to not be thinking straight and see the real picture which is finding a home that you feel comfortable in.

They do exist and do and can be found.

Understand this no one wished to hold grudges or have this hanging over there heads is there hope then consider the chances, the opportunities. Life is so short. So much to do and have a life full of happiness and joy.

Think of the future are you still going to be in Leeds in twenty thirty years when in the present right now. Housing opportunities and those helping are not being listened to.

I have had a bad life being alcoholic and have so many experiences, mis treatment and abused .

I now see this is the best time.  I am middle fifties wasted thirty years plus. Done a lot of things but realise now what counts.

I do understand this is your life but what if some housing association you contact offers the home you want.

Are you going to stay in Leeds?  To continue the fight or are finding a home to live in.

Something to think about.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - Whilst I appreciate your hopes for a woodland idyll you also need to look at the practicalities of this; can you use solar energy in a woodland? Can you are your partner drive, to bring in food, or water supplies?
    I did mention that some Park homes are fully residential; others you can live there for all but one week of the year. My son's mother-in-law gets around this by having her mail sent to them as her Park home is for 51 out of 52 weeks in the year. Just an option. As mentioned, my son & I pay £28 per week....this is ground rent & also for our water supply. After that we pay quarterly for our electricity supply to the park owner, rates (they are classed as band A for all Park homes) & also sewerage. So not all Park homes are 'just' holiday homes.
    A Park home may not be an option, but I can only agree with @thespiceman, you need to find a home for you both, & let go of some of the undoubtedly problems you've faced.
    Now, strange to say, I am a landlord.....just a bungalow my mother-in law had, & we decided to rent it out. Altho' it was well kept, we had it redecorated, & put in a new kitchen. We pay for grass cutting 10 times a year, have a contract with British Gas for any repairs & an annual boiler service, have replaced 2 showers & fences, etc. Our elderly tenant has been hospitalised due to dementia recently. My daughter & son-in-law, who live the closest, have been to her home on several occasions cleaning it, & have also visited her in hospital each week as her son lives in Australia. They've washed her clothes & taken them back in. Not all landlords are bad.
    I'm sadly divorcing my husband; it has caused me increased stress, & subsequent pain. I decided to 'let go' of this a while ago....I  had hoped to raise awareness that a benefit such as PIP should not be considered as 'income' in a divorce proceeding. Was told by my solicitor that 2 judges on the same day might have different views. Some things 'may' be worth fighting for, but your health is more important.
    I've spent the afternoon looking into Park homes near Leeds; surprised to learn some can be rented.
    Please consider @thespiceman 's suggestions & thoughts.

• chiarieds
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - I hope things have been calmer for you both today, & the rest of the weekend will give you a chance to 'recharge your batteries.' I sincerely hope you may then be better able to look at the links @thespiceman provided.
    I appreciate you have gone through way too much, especially this last week, & that it may be difficult to explore new suggestions. I do hope you know, however, that you are amongst friends now, who will do their utmost to help, if they possibly can. We also have concern that it would be good if you looked at these 'new' options that might better help you both, as we all hope for this.
    Will be here for a while longer tonight, & always hope to hear how you're doing.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Ozzy2013 - Still here tonight. I hold you in my thoughts, &, as others here, will be there for you whatever you choose to do.
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Hi @Ozzy2013
    Just wondered how you and your partner are doing and if there is any news? 

Hope you're getting some restful sleeps and coping x

Brightness