Am I entitled to non means-tested ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to non means-tested ESA?

ffion
ffion Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi there. I suffer with chronic intractable pain following numerous operations since 2005 due to two cancer diagnoses. The surgery in Feb 2014 has significantly reduced my quality of life and I have been suicidal in the last twelve months. I struggle continuously with muscle and nerve pain. I have been off work since October 2018 and my GP is very supportive. I am in receipt of the daily living part of PIP since the start of this year. This is unlikely to resolve itself and I would never cope with full time work again. I am now 47yrs old. Am I entitled to non means tested ESA and if so would I have to go through the assessment process for this if I’ve already had an assessment from PIP in January. My husband does work. I haven’t resigned from work yet. The GP writes fit notes. I’m not in receipt of SSP either anymore- this ended in September. Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

New style ESA can be claimed but that will depend on your NI Contributions in the years April 2017-2017 and April 2017-2018

You will need a fit note from your GP and your SSP1 form from your employer to be able to claim this. If you're eligible then yes you will have to go through the assessment process and very likely have a face to face assessment. PIP and ESA and different benefits with different criteria. People claim PIP and work and a PIP claim doesn't automatically entitle you to ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    Hi @ffion,

welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that you have been through such a difficult time over the past few years.

You can check your NI contributions on the Gov.UK website. It might be worth doing this before you claim to see if you are likely to qualify.

Please ask if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can help with.  :)
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • ffion
    ffion Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks both. Very helpful 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.